elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Comedown

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cozzer
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: The Comedown   Tue 29 Sep 2009, 09:04

It's been an amazing couple of years for Elbow and their fans, surpassing all our expectations. Now that the guys have disappeared into the hills for rest, sustenance and spiritual calm (yeh, whatever) is anyone feeling a bit of a gap in their lives? A sort of bitter-sweet feeling akin to when you've just got back from a great holiday and have to get on with 'normal' life again? Oh .. there's good stuff just around the corner e.g. Muse concerts for me in November. Maybe I'm just feeling wistful - it is nearly Autumn after all.

Let me know your thoughts Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Tue 29 Sep 2009, 10:23

Aye, with you there Cozzer. A few other gigs lined up does help, but there's still a few Elbow lights in the distance to keep us ticking over for a while; the AITB re-issue, Mick Middles' book (well, I hope it's going to be a light, not a black hole) and The South Bank Show. Plus the forum of course - and our ERO meet-up/night out sometime next year, if you count that ...

Personally, the best remedy so far for the comedown is a good craic with other online fans. After the other hiatuses (hiati? Not that place in the Carribean), I only had 'im indoors to talk Elbow with. Now, there's all you lovely people. MWAH HA HA ...Twisted Evil

View user profile http://elbowfans.org
Cozzer
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 89

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Tue 29 Sep 2009, 10:51

Excellent points Mrs W. There are plenty of Elbow 'titbits' to keep us amused/happy whilst we wait for the next main event. I wonder if the band will road test any new material before the next album is released? Not necessarily a full blown tour but a select number of dates to test the waters. Also, I think it would be great if they documented the making of the album - not hi-tech you understand .. just camcorder stuff showing snippets of the creative process. Have a great interview with Craig in a free mag I get called Tape Op about the making of TSSK; however I would personally have preferred a 15 min vid explaining what he and Jupp did in terms of producing and engineering the album.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Tue 29 Sep 2009, 11:16

I wonder if the much-mentioned Brian Glancy tribute will see the light of day?

And for our Guy Garvey fix, we always have The Finest Hour....(Go on, Garveh!).

But, to ease our withdrawal symptoms, we'll have to rely on each other and make the transition from "supporting a group" to "support group".

Back to top Go down
View user profile
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Tue 29 Sep 2009, 11:30

Yes there is a void but as they say "absence makes the heart grow fonder" .

Anyway in the break from Elbow, really getting into the new wave of Beatlemania . Judging by the amount of Twitter traffic on them, looks like a lot of the younger generation are getting into them as well , partly as a result of the Rock Band game ! (maybe this should go in the Beatles thread instead ?)

Also got the Decemberists gig coming up in November.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Tue 29 Sep 2009, 11:35

Absolutely agree that there is definitely a gaping hole that's missing. To think that I won't be listening to the lush sound of Elbow live for a long time is not good at all.

Off to see Morrissey next month and even HE cannot surpass the sheer emotion of listening to Elbow and I never thought I'd ever say that Moz could be beaten, musically and lyrically.

But yeah, the reissue of AITB and myself discovering a few more b sides is now my 'bow priority.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emma G
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Tue 29 Sep 2009, 12:09

Am bereft! Having seen them 9 times in the last 11 months I can't believe that I'll be 40 before I see them again. Now THATS depressing!

I too am seeing Morrissey a couple of times in October - can't wait - and the Pixies, and Richard Hawley so things aren't that bad. Just need to try and pull myself together!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Tue 29 Sep 2009, 12:16

Emma G wrote:
Am bereft! Having seen them 9 times in the last 11 months I can't believe that I'll be 40 before I see them again. Now THATS depressing!

I too am seeing Morrissey a couple of times in October - can't wait - and the Pixies, and Richard Hawley so things aren't that bad. Just need to try and pull myself together!

Agree Emma, 6 times in the last 18 months, making a grand total of 11 and it still seems nowhere near enough !! Gonna get stuck into Hawley's stuff, there's so much that sounds fantastic about his music..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Tue 29 Sep 2009, 13:49

It's a bit different for me...being in the States, I really don't get to see them live very often, so waiting a looooong time for another live show is par for the course! But I am a bit bummed about waiting for their next album. I listen to a lot of music so I always have something interesting on my headphones, but I expect it'll be hard to find anything that grips me the same way Elbow's music does, and I will definitely look forward to whatever they come up with next.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jones
we're away
we're away

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Wed 30 Sep 2009, 20:42

Well, as the song goes: 'I just don't know what to do with myself!'
Seems really strange not to have an Elbow gig to look forward to... Sad
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's come back down to earth with a bang!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Female Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Wed 30 Sep 2009, 21:51

Jones wrote:
Well, as the song goes: 'I just don't know what to do with myself!'
Seems really strange not to have an Elbow gig to look forward to...
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's come back down to earth with a bang!

Ok, Jones and anybody else.

My suggestions for ways to fill your Elbow time till the deluxe AINTB release and that biography.

1. Have your own private elbow gig with online elbow videos and the cds etc you have,
Or even better, organise a MAG musicbeatsmines night to raise funds.

2. Work out the lyrics to 'Every Bit the Little Girl' and 'Vum Garda' and add them to

http://www.songmeanings.net/artist/view/songs/6978/ as they are the only ones missing from the list, apart from the instrumentals and 'kisses'

3. If you are a member of ElbowfansNing update the shared collection with your latest stuff, as it does keep reviews, videos, photos, memorabilia etc in sections, whereas on here bits put on threads do get buried in time, as the thread grows.

4. There is still bbc6 'Finest Hour' every sunday night and other Elbow on TV and radio bits and bobs coming up

Hope that helps
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1695

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Sun 04 Oct 2009, 10:34

I love your optimism LWD!

Immediately after the gig I felt completely low - it really is such a long time till the next live show.

However, as one of the few people on ERO who does not know any of the B sides/rarities, I'm going to buy myself an MP3 player, delve in to the murky side of 'bow and download all the stuff I haven't heard. Just think - all that Elbow music I don't know yet - can't wait.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jones
we're away
we're away

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Sun 04 Oct 2009, 20:56

Yeah, loads of great stuff out there, check out the B-Sides thread! I love you
Also, looking forward to the biog.
'hope it will have lots of interesting tidbits in it to satisfy my inner anorak!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Sat 23 Jan 2010, 00:47

I'm feeling a little lost after all the excitement of last year.

I keep logging on wondering if there are any snippets of info but alas am disappointed.

It will be a year in March when we first saw Elbow in Newport and just wish I could live it all over again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Female Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Sun 24 Jan 2010, 00:17

Hi Lynne, don't be disappointed,it will probably be mostly quiet this year, going by whats gone before...however would be good if some could meet up again in summer 2010.... like ticky's festival rendezvous suggestion, while the band are tucked away being creative in the studio.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1695

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Sun 24 Jan 2010, 09:37

I know EXACTLY how you feel Lynne - for you and me both, the Newport gig was the first Elbow gig. That's probably why I seem to log in so regularly to this forum. Last year was so wonderful for Elbow live shows (5 for me) that I am now really missing all the Elbow input in my life. I KNOW it will be worth it though, so chin up I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Thu 28 Jan 2010, 15:26

Funny...I've noticed a sudden longing for Elbow music again over the past several days. Don't know why exactly! I've had lots of good new music to listen to but the other day, I was taken by an overwhelming urge to listen to TSSK in its entirety, which was followed by an urge to listen to AITB, which led to a 72-hour binge of non-stop Elbow. Nobody else made it onto my speakers during that time! I'd been digging the new Eels disc and some other artists' stuff recently, but when I put the ol' Elboys back on, it just reminded me how much better they are than almost anyone else out there, and it made me miss 'em something fierce. It's so hard to wait for new tunes, but I will, and as you mentioned Ticky, I know it WILL be worth it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   Thu 28 Jan 2010, 16:54

It's no substitute for the buzz of a gig or new release, but don't forget: If people want to get a 'bow fix by osmosis between fans, we could gently stoke up the forum meet-up idea as mentioned back here . Anyone with ideas and advance info on possible gigs worth gathering for would help set a date.

Or maybe, folk might want to think about Green Man as an option...?

Gotta have something, eh? *withdrawal twitches*

View user profile http://elbowfans.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Comedown   

Back to top Go down

The Comedown
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow patch-
Jump to: