elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Manic Street Preachers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Manic Street Preachers   Thu 18 Jun 2009, 18:55

Thought there was a thread already.
Anyways... I just watched Tsunami and it made me cry. I'm gonna post more another day!
For now: They are f**king awesome!!!
Loved them, love them, will always love them!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Manic Street Preachers   Fri 19 Jun 2009, 06:39

Yeah, sort of fell in love and fell out of love with the Manics. Of the earlier stuff, love Generation Terrorists, though it's a bit long. Holy Bible, well, i've never heard anything like, truly an evil and sinister sounding piece of work and it's brilliant. Everything Must Go was, at that point there most commercial sounding LP and I absolutley loved it, choc full of superb singles. I suppose from 'If you tolerate this.....' I sort of got a bit bored by them, but there's been the off bit of good stuff, 'Masses against the classes', the single where the blonde from The Cardigans guested, since, off the top of my head.

Heard bits off their new Richey penned album, and it sounds an improvement to me. Saw them live on numerous occasions, Blackpool, Manchester a few times including their first gig minus Richey at The Fifth Man under The Hacienda, Loch Lomond and Maine Road supporting Oasis.

You gott love The Wire, obsessed with hoovering and tidiness (OCD I thinkhe admitted to having) and has come up with some bizarre looking outfits on stage at times !

Yeah, great band, just a bit inconsistent, if I was being honest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Manic Street Preachers   Fri 19 Jun 2009, 19:54

I've liked their singles a couple of years and a couple of months ago I read the article about Richey Edwards in NME. As soon as I started reading it I became really interested in him and only vaguely heard of him (I'd only listened to singles post Holy Bible.) When Journal was released I decided to give it a go going on the strength of Jackie Collins... And now I'm absolutely hooked on them. I am now obsessed with Richey, 'cause he was simply genius and was simply beautiful in every way. I agree that Holy Bible has an evil/sinister overtone to it. It is simply the most dark and disturbing album I've ever had the pleasure of listening to, but it scares me that a majority of the lyrics were autobiographical. I love the fact that someone described James' vocal range as the size of the Grand Canyon. Nicky Wire is also a genius and a lovely man too, best laugh in the world. I really hope to see them live in the future. Anyway I'm rambling (no change really), so they are just brill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Manic Street Preachers   Sat 20 Jun 2009, 00:12

Basically, the fact with MSP is the further you go back the better they are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Manic Street Preachers   Sat 20 Jun 2009, 10:55

Leo wrote:
Basically, the fact with MSP is the further you go back the better they are.

I wouldn't agree with that!
Generation terrorists is amacing!
They have the problem every "Indie" band has. On some point they get successful and "mainstreem". It happend with This is my truth... although it's a great album. I love the fact that you can't say, ok the Manics are doing that kind of music. That never worked with them.
If you like the early stuff, listen to Know your enemy!!! I absolutly love this album. And with their latest it's the same. Journal for plague lovers is a lot like the early stuff. Maybe because it's Richeys lyrics.

I became fan about 10 years ago. First only with a few songs (Motorcycle emtiness, Faster etc.) then there was Know your enemy.
What I love about them: the lyrics, the music, their variety, James voice! (Oh boy, just rememberd times when I looked through pix of them/him and listened to their music Embarassed - Fun times! Very Happy)

Hope they are around for a long time, and maybe/hopefully I'll see them live once!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Manic Street Preachers   Sat 20 Jun 2009, 16:00

spose so.

their more experimental stuff was better. i dont think they make a good rock/punk band
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Manic Street Preachers   Mon 22 Jun 2009, 22:39

ElbowFreak wrote:
maybe/hopefully I'll see them live once!!!
You must. They're stunning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Manic Street Preachers   Tue 23 Jun 2009, 20:59

They aren't very often in Germany. And I'm not a festival type of girl... :-S
They have to tour again!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Manic Street Preachers   Mon 06 Jul 2009, 17:38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-wZ5uY0_o

How cool is that??!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Manic Street Preachers   Tue 28 Jul 2009, 16:13

A bit late in the day but I've just got round to getting the latest Manics album, and I have to say they seem to have found their focus again. It's not The Holy Bible part 2 (as has been suggested) - it is nowhere near as despairing and nihilistic. "Journal for Plague Lovers" musically does hark back to that classic, and the songs certainly have plenty of anger and despair in them, but there are also surprising flashes of humour, and touches of compassion which make this a far less harrowing experience. (Which is perhaps surprising considering they were, in effect, Richey's last words).

I guess you might say that this feels like the album that could have come out between The Holy Bible and Everything Must Go. Tis good, it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Manic Street Preachers   Mon 13 Sep 2010, 13:52

Latest album "Postcards from a Young Man" is being streamed by The Guardian (via We7).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/sep/13/manic-street-preachers-postcards-young-man

I've only listened to the first couple of tracks so far, and it sounds like a return to a more mainstream sound, but still with lots of big guitars.

To be honest the Manics are one of those bands I find hard to criticise - even the rubbish stuff is kind of endearing, and they've done enough good stuff to get away with pretty much anything with me. One of my favourite bands of the last 20 years.

Listened to a bit more now and Hazleton Avenue is a bit of a stinker, sadly, but the title track and A Billion Balconies Facing The Sun are belters, Auto-Intoxication is good as is Golden Platitudes in a sub Everything Must Go kind of way. Overall impression is that it continues on from the comfy "Send Away The Tigers" (which I like) and that "Journal" was a blast of brilliance that was too painful to repeat.

<edit> OK, I got the CD today, listened to it a few times, and you know what, whilst it aint a classic, is somewhat overproduced and distinctly AOR at times, I bloody love it. Even Hazleton Avenue is OK now! I hope they get loads of airplay and sell shedloads. </edit>

Back to top Go down
View user profile
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Manic Street Preachers   Tue 28 Sep 2010, 18:08

Nice one Mr K - totally agree with your initial review of it - 'Hazelton Ave', I was like 'jeez, bloody awful' - but it's now so so, loved 'Auto Intoxication' virtually immediately and I DO adore 'It's not Love...' don't understand the general love in towards 'Golden Platitudes'....the general feel of the album i really like, what with it's lush sound and strings etc. Certainly the 'Everything Must Go' comparisons are accurate, apart from it doesn't have the quantity of brilliant pop songs.

James' voice is still sounding so rasping and right on the money.

After another 2 or 3 listens I need to really dig into 'Journal For Plague Lovers' - only heard it 2 or 3 times - but reckon, with a bit of patience and effort it could be a more rewarding listen than 'Postcards....'

Still, looking forward to Manchester Apollo in 2 weeks time, not seen them live since 'This is my truth....' era.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Manic Street Preachers   Wed 13 Apr 2011, 08:28

Hello all - times are hard in sunny Wales, so I've got to sell my tickets to MSP for 21st May in Cardiff. PM me if you're interested.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Manic Street Preachers   Sat 28 Apr 2012, 15:11

Oh my goodness....
Seen them live for the first time yesterday!!!
What an amacing concert!!!!!!
I don't know what to say right now!
AWEEEESOOOOMEEEE! *squee* Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Manic Street Preachers   

Back to top Go down

Manic Street Preachers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum