elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band
 
HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours


Female Number of posts : 471
Age : 25
Location : Merry Ole' England
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Tue 14 Apr 2009, 11:30

Hey all,

I want to spice up my music collection and I was wondering whether any of you could suggest any music (new and old.) I discover a lot of music on the radio, especially whilst listening to the Finest Hour which I can't thank Guy enough for, but I thought this might be quicker. So if you like you can suggest an song, album or band/artist, it's kinda like a song for Guy. I hope this thread won't just give me new music to listen to, but to everyone else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours


Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Tue 14 Apr 2009, 11:59

Merz he's one of my mates but he's a talented lad despite that an makes beautiful music
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
avatar

Female Number of posts : 356
Location : IKEA-land
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Tue 14 Apr 2009, 12:28

my brightest diamond is the latest i got from the finest hour. she got a lovely voice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours


Female Number of posts : 471
Age : 25
Location : Merry Ole' England
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Tue 14 Apr 2009, 12:55

bluefield wrote:
Merz he's one of my mates but he's a talented lad despite that an makes beautiful music

Yeah just listened to a couple of tracks on his Myspace, two words, beautiful and hypnotic. Thanks v much bluefield.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
avatar

Female Number of posts : 573
Location : S London/Kent
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Wed 15 Apr 2009, 14:11

http://happyrhodes.org/

and authorised streaming audio and mp3s of some of Happy's songs, on link below

http://wretchawry.com/happy/samples/index.html

also I still love

http://www.last.fm/music/Caravan
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver


Number of posts : 562
Location : LDN
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Wed 15 Apr 2009, 15:12

It might be worth having a look through the recommendations in the 'New Music Recommendations' thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jones
we're away
we're away
avatar

Female Number of posts : 2266
Location : Ireland
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Wed 15 Apr 2009, 19:08

Check out Van Morrison.
He's been around for so long and dabbled in so many different styles of music, there's bound to be something in there for you. And it's all class!

try: Astral Weeks and Enlightenment and you'll see the scope of the man's work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours


Female Number of posts : 471
Age : 25
Location : Merry Ole' England
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Wed 15 Apr 2009, 19:40

Misspelt Yoof wrote:
It might be worth having a look through the recommendations in the 'New Music Recommendations' thread.

Woops Laughing didn't see that. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1695
Age : 55
Location : Newport, South Wales
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Wed 15 Apr 2009, 20:14

One of my favourite albums of all time is by Harry Nilsson - A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night. My mum played it constantly in the '70's - gorgeous and creamy!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours


Female Number of posts : 471
Age : 25
Location : Merry Ole' England
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Wed 15 Apr 2009, 20:29

Stockhaus wrote:
my brightest diamond is the latest i got from the finest hour. she got a lovely voice.

Ooooh! I absolutely love this when I heard it and forgot who sang it, thanks and thank god for the track listing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours


Female Number of posts : 471
Age : 25
Location : Merry Ole' England
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Wed 15 Apr 2009, 21:21

lucky with disease wrote:
http://happyrhodes.org/

and authorised streaming audio and mp3s of some of Happy's songs, on link below

http://wretchawry.com/happy/samples/index.html

also I still love

http://www.last.fm/music/Caravan

Cheers muchly! I get a jolly vibe from Caravan and Happy has a great voice, her music is so different.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours


Female Number of posts : 471
Age : 25
Location : Merry Ole' England
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Wed 15 Apr 2009, 21:26

ticky wrote:
One of my favourite albums of all time is by Harry Nilsson - A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night. My mum played it constantly in the '70's - gorgeous and creamy!!!

Oh my god! I went of Deezer to check him out and I know some of his songs. I love Everybody's Talkin' (I remember it from Only Fools...) and Without You (however always reminds me of that Mariah Carey bint!) Thanks 'cause I never knew who sang them Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours


Female Number of posts : 471
Age : 25
Location : Merry Ole' England
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Wed 15 Apr 2009, 21:33

Jones wrote:
Check out Van Morrison.
He's been around for so long and dabbled in so many different styles of music, there's bound to be something in there for you. And it's all class!

try: Astral Weeks and Enlightenment and you'll see the scope of the man's work.

Yeah I like Brown Eyed Girl and Moondance, and my Dad is a big Morrison fan, so I'll deplete his collection, cheers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours


Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Thu 16 Apr 2009, 18:40

Van is definitely the man, not as a warm up for a light comedy show, or a kids party entertainer admittedly but you want a song beautifully written and sung you are on a winner with Van
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours


Female Number of posts : 234
Age : 51
Location : Gloucestershire
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Sat 18 Apr 2009, 13:48

My suggestion for something a bit different but definitely worth a listen would be:

Retrospectacle - The Best of Thomas Dolby
...and I know you are now saying "Who?" which is what I usually get when I mention him to anyone, but trust me. You're in for a treat.
Lesley
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1523
Location : Florida
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Sat 18 Apr 2009, 14:02

Lesley Gilks wrote:
My suggestion for something a bit different but definitely worth a listen would be:

Retrospectacle - The Best of Thomas Dolby
...and I know you are now saying "Who?" which is what I usually get when I mention him to anyone, but trust me. You're in for a treat.
Lesley

Wow! You just sent me for a ride in the Way Back machine! Thomas Dolby played at my University during my second year (I think Simply Red were there for my first year). He put on a really good show then, and he is damned talented.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours


Female Number of posts : 234
Age : 51
Location : Gloucestershire
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Sat 18 Apr 2009, 14:20

Wow! I love Thomas and I also think he is very talented. He's been working on a new studio album that should be released in the summer.
Lesley
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1523
Location : Florida
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Sat 18 Apr 2009, 14:28

I'll have to keep an eye out for the new one...curious to hear how he sounds now!

Also wanted to recommend the new album by Smog's Bill Callahan. It's called Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle. It's just out here and I'm not actually sure if it's available in the UK yet or not. But if it is, do check it out...very resonant voice and songs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr Evil
fallen angel
fallen angel


Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Sun 19 Apr 2009, 12:18

Anything by Doves, Rozi Plain, The Chameleons, Echo & the Bunnymen/Electrafixion or Viva Stereo.

Tears by the Chameleons on the Strange Times album-Like the promise of the first summer breeze.
Second Skin by the Chameleons on the Script of the Bridge album-Stunning,Transcendent,Godlike.
Flaming Red on Reverberation by Echo & the Bunnymen-The sound of life with all it's regrets flashing before your eyes.
Bathtimer on A Noisy Noise Annoys A noisy Seagull by Rozi Plain-Never has such innocence met such knowingness.
Rook Rook Crow on Inside Over Here by Rozi Plain-This song is so beautiful that words fail me for once.
In Bluer Skies by Echo & the Bunnymen on Porcupine-Be transported to a vast blue space of existential angst.
Razors Edge by Electrafixion on the Efix/Zephyr/B-side double album-The worlds greatest guitarist accompanies the joyful cry of a young god.
Try Harder by Viva Stereo on Optimism is not a curse-All of the tricks of the above and better than The Moody Blues and Radiohead combined.


Warning: listening to any one of these songs will change your life. Listening to all of them at once may put you in a trance-like state for days.


Last edited by Dr Evil on Tue 21 Apr 2009, 10:29; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours


Female Number of posts : 471
Age : 25
Location : Merry Ole' England
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Sun 19 Apr 2009, 20:15

Dr Evil wrote:
Anything by Doves, Rozi Plain, The Chameleons, Echo & the Bunnymen/Electrafixion or Viva Stereo.

Tears by the Chameleons on the Strange Times album-Like the promise of the first summer breeze.
Second Skin by the Chameleons on the Script of the Bridge album-Stunning,Transcendent,Godlike.
Flaming Red on Reverberation by Echo & the Bunnymen-The sound of life with all it's regrets flashing before your eyes.
Bathtimer on A Noisy Noise Annoys A noisy Seagull by Rozi Plain-Never has such innocence met such knowiness.
Rook Rook Crow on Inside Over Here by Rozi Plain-This song is so beautiful that words fail me for once.
In Bluer Skies by Echo & the Bunnymen on Porcupine-Be transported to a vast blue space of existential angst.
Razors Edge by Electrafixion on the Efix/Zephyr/B-side double album-The worlds greatest guitarist accompanies the joyful cry of a young god.
Try Harder by Viva Stereo on Opimism is not a curse-All of the tricks of the above and better than The Moody Blues and Radiohead combined.


Warning: listening to any one of these songs will change your life. Listening to all of them at once may put you in a trance-like state for days.

Oooh cheers Dr Evil. Gotta love Doves.

P.S Your name is awesome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr Evil
fallen angel
fallen angel


Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Mon 20 Apr 2009, 01:42

bluejayway wrote:

Oooh cheers Dr Evil. Gotta love Doves.

P.S Your name is awesome!

If your still bored you could try looking at some of my paintings I suppose.
http://www.imagekind.com/MemberProfile.aspx?MID=4444bdf8-8720-467e-975d-dc543f271aad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
schteiny
fallen angel
fallen angel


Male Number of posts : 14
Age : 35
Location : Australia
Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Tue 21 Apr 2009, 13:50

Some albums that I have come across in the last half a dozen or so years that I play repetitively and might be appealing to Elbow fans.

Art of Fighting - Wires
- Reasons Are All I Have Left

Augie March - Sunset Studies
- Asleep In Perfection
- The Hole in Your Roof

Sarah Blasko - The Overture and the Underscore / What the Sea Wants, the Sea Will Have
- Always Worth It
- Always on this Line

Bluebottle Kiss - Revenge is Slow/ Patient / Doubt Seeds / Come Across
- Girl Genius
- Ounce of Your Cruelty
- Last Playboy In Town

Decoder Ring - Self Titled / Fractions
- Welcome Shoppers:: go to http://www.myspace.com/decoderringsounds - on their player
- Serac

Dirty Three - Horse Stories / Cinder
- Red
- Sue's Last Ride

Gelbison - 1704
- Good God
- Homelands

Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree
- This Year

I could keep going, but that will do for now :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
avatar

Female Number of posts : 727
Age : 53
Location : Wales
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Tue 21 Apr 2009, 14:29

I find it hard to make specific suggestions out of the blue, but I've discovered a lot of wonderful new music in recent years through Last.fm - not necessarily the obvious "recommendation radio", but by following up what other peole who listen to stuff I'm listening to like that I don't know, and swapping the occasional mix tape with friends on there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours


Female Number of posts : 471
Age : 25
Location : Merry Ole' England
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Tue 21 Apr 2009, 19:23

schteiny wrote:
Some albums that I have come across in the last half a dozen or so years that I play repetitively and might be appealing to Elbow fans.

Art of Fighting - Wires
- Reasons Are All I Have Left

Augie March - Sunset Studies
- Asleep In Perfection
- The Hole in Your Roof

Sarah Blasko - The Overture and the Underscore / What the Sea Wants, the Sea Will Have
- Always Worth It
- Always on this Line

Bluebottle Kiss - Revenge is Slow/ Patient / Doubt Seeds / Come Across
- Girl Genius
- Ounce of Your Cruelty
- Last Playboy In Town

Decoder Ring - Self Titled / Fractions
- Welcome Shoppers:: go to http://www.myspace.com/decoderringsounds - on their player
- Serac

Dirty Three - Horse Stories / Cinder
- Red
- Sue's Last Ride

Gelbison - 1704
- Good God
- Homelands

Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree
- This Year

I could keep going, but that will do for now :-)

Wow, will get on to listening to them straight away. Thanks a million.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours


Female Number of posts : 471
Age : 25
Location : Merry Ole' England
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   Tue 21 Apr 2009, 19:24

Glendarian wrote:
I find it hard to make specific suggestions out of the blue, but I've discovered a lot of wonderful new music in recent years through Last.fm - not necessarily the obvious "recommendation radio", but by following up what other peole who listen to stuff I'm listening to like that I don't know, and swapping the occasional mix tape with friends on there.

Oh yeah, Last is a great site, but I haven't used it much. I think I'll try in the future Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover   

Back to top Go down
 
Suggest Music You Love For Eveyone To Appreciate/Discover
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: