elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Tom Waits

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Tom Waits   Thu 10 Apr 2008, 14:12

I know, he's another one that people either love or hate. Truthfully, I do hate some of his songs myself. But mostly, I love what he does and the way he does it. He's an extraordinary songwriter and he comes up with more beautiful music than most people give him credit for. He does a nice sideline in character acting too (his Renfield was the only good thing about Coppola's version of Dracula, and he had some great moments in Gilliam's Fisher King and in Altman's Short Cuts). If you like either the musical or the cinematic talents of Mr. Waits, holla!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dabamash
we're away
we're away

Male Number of posts : 2079
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Tom Waits   Thu 10 Apr 2008, 17:14

I don't think i've heard of him.

View user profile
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Tom Waits   Fri 11 Apr 2008, 07:57

Been a fan of Tom Waits since Swordfishtrombones. I heard 'In The Neighbourhood' and was hooked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Tom Waits   Fri 11 Apr 2008, 14:44

Wow, Hotblack...that's EXACTLY my story! Though it was actually the video of In The Neighborhood that made me a fan. Guess I'm giving my age away a bit there...I mean, I can remember when MTV used to show actual videos! And when they still had the balls to play a Tom Waits, video, at that...can you imagine? Definitely waaaay back in the day, y'all.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Tom Waits   Sat 12 Apr 2008, 16:06

Yep. It was the video that sort of did it for me (as well as that voice). It was shown on (of all things) a Saturday morning kids programme we had over here called Swap Shop (with Noel Edmonds)*. I only ever saw it the once (surprise!surprise!) but it lodged in my skull.

*That'll bring back memories for the older bunch here. Very Happy

*Noel Edmonds is now (and has been for some time) an ar5e of the highest order. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Tom Waits   Sat 12 Apr 2008, 18:58

I never saw it on MTV again either, after that first time. But I have since seen it on YouTube; I looked it up just to make sure I hadn't hallucinated it, all those years ago. Gotta love the internet! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Tom Waits   Mon 05 May 2008, 22:47

Well, I figured that after seeing Elbow, the rest of my concert-going year would all have to be downhill, because how do ya top that? I'll tell you how...Tom Waits! He announced tour dates this morning and he will be stopping in Florida! It's in Jacksonville, which is a nice long road trip north from where I live, but at least no plane ticket will be needed this time! Holy cow, I am stoked! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Tom Waits   Fri 16 May 2008, 15:11

1. I have just scored 2nd row seats for Tom Waits' show in Florida...this'll be the second most exciting concert-going experience of 2008 for me! Yay!! cheers

2. I posted a link to a video interview with Pete and Guy (posted @ Blender.com) on another thread. In it, when asked about what he'd choose to put on a jukebox, Guy's immediate response is: the whole of Swordfishtrombones by Tom Waits. So there you go. How bad could it be? Cool

3. My good friend and neighbor has a brother who is an excellent and pretty successful artist in Los Angeles. I met him when he came to visit a few days ago, and he told me about how he made a sketch of Tom Waits and sent it to him. A couple days later, he got a call from Tom, who left a thank you message on his answering machine. My friend's brother saved it and played it for me on his cell...coolest thing I've ever heard! The man actually got Tom Wait's digits! Shweet!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lapitu
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Tom Waits   Sat 17 May 2008, 20:36

2nd row seats sound awesome, congratulations Very Happy

I've just recently gotten into "mule variations" and don't know where to go on now... any recommendations? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Tom Waits   Sun 18 May 2008, 13:03

lapitu wrote:
2nd row seats sound awesome, congratulations Very Happy

I've just recently gotten into "mule variations" and don't know where to go on now... any recommendations? Smile

Thanks lapitu! Well, Mule Variations is one of my top 3 all-time Waits albums so you started at the top, IMO! Very Happy I guess it depends which of the songs on Mule Variations are sounding good to you. If you lean toward the more melodic, poetic stuff (like Hold On, Take It With Me or Picture In A Frame) then you would enjoy his earlier work, which is mostly booze-soaked balladry with some jazz/blues influences. Closing Time, Heartattack and Vine, Small Change and Blue Valentines all represent that era quite well.

If the more minimal, experimental (with an emphasis on MENTAL! What a Face ) stuff like Eyeball Kid and Black Market Baby catches your ear, you'll wanna check out Swordfishtrombones, Franks' Wild Years, Rain Dogs and Real Gone.

Honestly, if you want to get a nice cross section of his many sounds, you would be wise to invest in Orphans, a 3-disc set that appeared a couple of years ago and features the whole range from noise to sheer, gorgeous perfection. And you can also go for Beautiful Maladies, a compliation from his years on Island Records, which collects many of his finest songs from the '80's and early '90's (though this one is more weighted toward the noise/experimental and less toward the sentimental singer-songwriter vibe).
Sorry if this is too much information but he has such an extensive back catalog and there is so much to choose from! Hope this helped though! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lapitu
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Tom Waits   Tue 20 May 2008, 20:05

Woo, thanks for the information! I'll have enough music for the whole summer Very Happy
I actually had a bunch of his albums from my uncle, but I honestly didn't know where to start - I got myself Orphans now, which is awesome Smile and now I'll make my way through your list. or chronological order... hmmmm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Tom Waits   Tue 20 May 2008, 21:07

Nice! Glad to hear it...have fun diving into all that music and I hope you love it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Male Number of posts : 891

PostSubject: Re: Tom Waits   Wed 21 May 2008, 11:24

I read yesterday that 'Captain Beefheart is everything Tom Waits wishes he was'. Any comments on that? I loves me Beefheart but I still haven't heard any Waits
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Tom Waits   Wed 21 May 2008, 15:28

jonny wrote:
I read yesterday that 'Captain Beefheart is everything Tom Waits wishes he was'. Any comments on that? I loves me Beefheart but I still haven't heard any Waits

Ummm...I would argue with that statement, actually. Waits cites Beefheart as one of his influences, no doubt, but I think we're comparing apples and oranges with those two artists. Not that some elements of their work don't overlap (both are sonic adventurers, both have roots in blues and jazz, and both have unusually strong vocal styles), but I just can't say that Waits was ever looking to BE Captain Beefheart, and if you do get a chance to listen to his stuff I think you'll see the distinctions. Beefheart leans a bit more toward the psychedelia/freak-out sound, which makes sense because he was doing his thing back when that sound was still happening. I wouldn't describe Waits' music as psychedelic, although can be pretty weird. Smile Basically, if you're dropping acid, it sounds like Beefheart, and if it's 4 in the morning and you're draped over a bar trying to order one last shot of bourbon, it sounds like Waits. if that makes any damn sense at all, that is... Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Tom Waits   Wed 21 May 2008, 16:37

funnily enough I always get Waits and Beefheart slightly confused... a friend of mine was into both when we were about 17 or 18, and I think I had a tape with Waits on one side and Beefheart on the other at one point. The only songs I can remember are 'Telephone Call from Istanbul' (Waits) and some weird instrumental piano tune about rabbits and carrots (Beefheart), but then again I was mostly listening to Shed Seven at the time Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
noisebox
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Tom Waits   Sat 09 Aug 2008, 18:48

Hi - I've just listened to Tom Waits for the first time through the NPR podcast which I've posted about elsewhere on this forum. What can I say? Incredible, never heard anything like it. Thought you all might like a decsription of voice included in his wikipedia entry:

"like it was soaked in a vat of bourbon, left hanging in the smokehouse for a few months, and then taken outside and run over with a car."[
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tom Waits   

Back to top Go down

Tom Waits
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: