elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Movies/DVDs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Sun 19 Feb 2012, 16:14

The Dish!
What an amacing australian movie. Absolutely adore it. Smile
And Sam Neill is great as always.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Sat 05 May 2012, 05:49

Recently watched the DVD of The Rum Diary. What a HUGE disappointment. It was written/directed by Bruce Robinson, who did Withnail & I - one of my favorite films of ever. And it was boring. How they managed to take a book written by Gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson, get Robinson to write the screenplay and direct it, and have Johnny Depp star in it - and STILL bore me - is a near miracle. I was most impressed by the 1959 two-tone Corvette Stingray that is featured in the film, but if the car gets my attention more than Johnny Depp does, man, that's sad.

Speaking of the Deppster, I am hoping he doesn't let me down in the upcoming Tim Burton adaptation of the classic goth-camp TV show, Dark Shadows. Trailer is awesome, but then again, I loved the Rum Diary trailer, too. So take that for what it's worth.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Tue 10 Jul 2012, 13:53

Had a chance to see the Wim Wenders film Wings of Desire this past weekend. Hadn't seen it in probably 15 years or more, and I'd forgotten how great it is. It's one of those films that can be almost suffocatingly pretentious - Marion's monologue at the end makes me murderously angry every time I hear it - but then there are some really magical and down-to-earth moments which make it resonate a lot more. The scenes with Peter Falk are especially endearing to me.

Also, in my never-ending stream of Pixar news, Brave is quite good. It is a serious rebound from Cars 2, which I loathed, but it isn't as brilliant as most of the previous Pixar flicks. like The Incredibles or the Toy Story trilogy. At least, not in terms of the story itself, but as far as the animation goes, man is it gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
power23
newborn
newborn

Female Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:54

Saw Drive the other day, it was mindblowing. It's like a velvet knife, it cuts and kills and carves, all in delicate fashion. Soundtrack was the perfect soundification (!) of the movie too - the whole 80s retro feel is amazing.

One of the best films I've seen in a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinTin
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Sun 16 Dec 2012, 01:12

Just back from watching The Hobbit , I Loved it , note to self 'dont have dwarves round for tea ! Maybe Kili (hot dwarf) ! Loved the actors ,Gollum and the eagles and the scenery ,wow , did l say l loved it ? Want to see it again tomorrow , l am a Tolkien geek though cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Tue 18 Dec 2012, 16:03

ChrissieInFL wrote:
Also, in my never-ending stream of Pixar news, Brave is quite good. It is a serious rebound from Cars 2, which I loathed, but it isn't as brilliant as most of the previous Pixar flicks. like The Incredibles or the Toy Story trilogy. At least, not in terms of the story itself, but as far as the animation goes, man is it gorgeous!

Speaking of which, the entire "Toy Story" trilogy was on ABC Family this past weekend (Fri.-Sun.), so I watched that with my mom. It was nice reliving 1 & 2, and I REALLY enjoyed 3. I feel like the 3rd movie was the most poignant of the three. Really good stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Tue 18 Dec 2012, 18:24

@Chrissie:
OMG, you like Wim Wenders? Or only Wings of desire?
For me, coming from Germany, it is so strange that he is far more succesful outside Germany. *lol*
I love his movies... They have a certain tone you won't find again. One of the greatest filmmakers. And I love his voice. When you see Interviews (doesn't matter if english or german) he has a very quiet voice. So awesome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Thu 20 Dec 2012, 20:51

ElbowFreak wrote:
@Chrissie:
OMG, you like Wim Wenders? Or only Wings of desire?
For me, coming from Germany, it is so strange that he is far more succesful outside Germany. *lol*
I love his movies... They have a certain tone you won't find again. One of the greatest filmmakers. And I love his voice. When you see Interviews (doesn't matter if english or german) he has a very quiet voice. So awesome!

Well, I have only seen a couple of his films, Wings of Desire and Paris, Texas, and I love them both. I want to see the sequel he did for Wings of Desire (Faraway, So Close) but I haven't done it yet. Have you seen it? If so did you think it was a good sequel? I think the continuation of the story could be either really good or really disappointing, so I have been a little wary of seeing it in case I don't like it as much! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Fri 21 Dec 2012, 21:45

I've seen far away so close. I have a few Dvds of Wim.
well, it's not really a sequel. It's the story of Cassiel (Otto Sander), the angel that stayed an angel in wings of desire. It's similar to wings, but I love wings more. Still it's a good movie.

You really have to watch Until the end of the world. I love this 4 hour movie. Either you like Wims movies or you don't, I guess there is no in between.
Though many probably know his about documentary Buena Vista Social Club.

And I really like the end of violence with Gabriel Byrne and Bill Pullman.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nancy
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Sun 30 Dec 2012, 15:38

3 films I can recommend:

AMOUR: winner of the Best Film (Palme d'Or) Award at the Cannes Film Festival, a bit of a slow film but really beautiful!

BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD: A very special film, there's no real plot, the tone and feel of the film are more important. Also loved the music in this film (Cajun).

THE HUNT (Jagten): Mads Mikkelsen won the best actor award n Cannes for his role in this film. I've seen him in some other films, he's becoming one of my favorite European actors.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Mon 31 Dec 2012, 03:19

My brother let me borrow his copy of "Ted." That movie is SO funny. I loved it. The only thing I didn't like was how the plot in itself was predictable in some places. Even so, it was worth the watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Thu 31 Jan 2013, 20:35

Did I ever mention Tim McGraw movies???

Friday Night Lights
Flicka
Blind Side
Country Strong

He's a famous country singer, but also a heck of an actor!
To be honest: would love to see more movies of him.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Mon 11 Feb 2013, 18:05

Nancy wrote:

BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD: A very special film, there's no real plot, the tone and feel of the film are more important. Also loved the music in this film (Cajun).

I saw this one not too long ago. Definitely one of the most bizarre films I've ever seen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nancy
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   Sat 21 Feb 2015, 20:21

Films I can recommend:
Birdman
Boyhood
Whiplash
Nightcrawler
Calvary
Deux jours, une nuit
Mr. Turner
Leviathan
Theory Of Everything
The Imitation Game
Wild Tales (Relatos Salvajes)
Winter Sleep
Force Majeur (Turist)
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movies/DVDs   

Back to top Go down

Movies/DVDs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: the hole (in the neighbourhood)-
Jump to: