elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Flaming Lips

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Sat 01 Aug 2009, 14:01

No live dates yet in my neck of the woods, but am keeping fingers crossed! I'm liking the new tunes I've heard from the upcoming release. Anyone else heard them?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Thu 24 Sep 2009, 13:29

Flaming Lips fans...the band appeared on The Colbert Report last week, and Wayne sat down with Stephen Colbert for a brief but funny chat. If anyone's interested, you can watch the interview here:
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/249083/september-16-2009/wayne-coyne

Wayne Coyne is one of my two favorite front men of all time - next to Guy, of course!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Thu 24 Sep 2009, 14:25

He is GORGEOUS! And what a genuinely nice bloke he looks too - after only watching him for 4 minutes of interview. I am very much looking forward to their gig in November. Have you heard their new album Chrissie?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Thu 24 Sep 2009, 14:51

ticky wrote:
He is GORGEOUS! And what a genuinely nice bloke he looks too - after only watching him for 4 minutes of interview. I am very much looking forward to their gig in November. Have you heard their new album Chrissie?

Yeah, I love me some Wayne! He is an incredibly humble and decent dude. If you've not watched the FLips doc, The Fearless Freaks, I highly recommend it, Ticky. You really get the whole history of Wayne and the band and it is a wonderful, well-told tale. Plus, there's lots of footage of Wayne at home in Oklahoma, and he is just as grounded as anyone you could hope to meet. A lot like Elbow have never left Bury behind, the Flaming Lips really are part of their community and to see Wayne in his natural habitat is a treat!

Here's an excerpt from the film, in which Wayne returns to the fast food joint he used to work in as a young man (which has since become a Vietnamese house o' noodles!) and recounts the story of how he was robbed there at gunpoint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxVOuvq9MSA

As for the new album, I did hear it in its entirety when they streamed it online last week. It's down now, but if I find anyone else who posts a stream I'll let you know. I like it - but it's trippier than the last few albums and isn't as accessible in terms of melody or structure...no obvious "hits" like Do You Realize? or Fight Test. Might not go over too well with everybody but it's sonically very cool to listen to. Curious to see what these songs sound like live, so you'll need to report here after the show in November, Ticky! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Thu 24 Sep 2009, 19:20

While we're on with a bit of background to Wayne's outlook, this speech is a gem. For anyone who hasn't seen it already, this is a two-part video of his typically cosmic, funny and philosophical speech to graduates at his old school. Bear with his slightly-staccato delivery, it's worth it...

Part Two for a great anecdote followed by rock & roll warm 'n' fuzzy: 2006 OKC Classen Commencement - Part 2

The man's an absolute bloody hero. Cool

View user profile http://elbowfans.org
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Thu 24 Sep 2009, 19:51

Thanks for those links, mrswoman - I think if anyone can say something to graduating students that's worth hearing, it's Wayne!

Don't remember if I'd posted this somewhere before, but here's my favorite pic (I use it as the wallpaper on my mobile) - the two awesomest men in rock & roll together at last! cheers

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Thu 24 Sep 2009, 19:58

I'm pretty sure i posted it somewhere!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Wed 28 Oct 2009, 17:13

For all you Wayniacs out there...tune in to Spin Magazine's November issue for a FLips cover story. The article is online right here: http://www.spin.com/articles/flaming-lips-are-complete-control

On this page you'll also find a short video with some behind-the-scenes footage of the photo shoot for the article. Pics are excellent, by the way, and the issue includes a tear-out poster with a pic of Wayne in his concert space bubble on one side, andsome original artwork by Wayne on the other side. Pick it up if you can find it! Thumbs Up!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Fri 30 Oct 2009, 13:37

Wayniacs.... love that! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Sat 31 Oct 2009, 09:43

The Flaming Lips are also featured in the Current edition of The Word

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Female Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Mon 02 Nov 2009, 21:43

At one of my music magazinhes they discuss, if the new Flaming Lips-CD is "the Pink Floyd of the Millenium" or the "ummagumma Side 4 of the millenium" Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Tue 17 Nov 2009, 23:10

Saw the Flaming Lips last night at Manchester Academy, together with Stardeath and the White Dwarfs who were excellent in a full-on, maxxed psychadelic wig-out kinda way. Throwing themselves fully into the gig, the young support looked very reminiscent of a young Coyne, Drozd and Ivins. One highlight was Stardeath's cover of a well-known chameleon artist's early hit, in a similar style to how the headliner band tackled 'Can't Get You Outta My Head' a few years back.

S&TWD were an on-the-money primer for FLips' more out-there Embryonic set, while a distillation of the most loved poppier hits was there too for those who came on board circa Yoshimi.

After a bit of time working out venue dimensions, Wayne started the show with the space bubble and kept up the pace throughout with loads of improved effects and tons of dry ice. To anyone going to see them on this tour, don't worry about drowning in a noodly new double album's worth of stuff. It's a balanced set, accomodating for all while taking you back to the FLips' roots.

ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Wed 18 Nov 2009, 08:52

Well - that was fun, to put it mildly.

We saw them in Birmingham last night and I'd been looking forward to them immensely. I wasn't disappointed. What a wonderful, joyous evening that was - I seemed to have a permanent grin on my face and only realised at the end when my facial muscles started to ache. BTW Mrs W, what was that song they played - loads of strobes/noise - just after the cornet?

I thought the support were fab - very Sabbath/Floyd/Lips - I agree about the M track - that was outstanding.

And of course - Wayne Coyne - Pfoah!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Wed 18 Nov 2009, 16:55

WONDERFUL! Thanks, mrswoman and Ticky for the reviews - so pleased you guys had fun! Though I figured you would...there's no party better than a FLips party! Party!

BTW, don't know how much y'all know about Stardeath & White Dwarfs, but that's the band of Wayne Coyne's nephew, Dennis, who is their lead singer and used to roadie for his uncle back in the day!

And, on another Wayne related topic, if you are in the mood for some freaky-ass shit, you need to run - not walk - to the new video for Watching the Planets. Naked people (and I'm talking full frontal, including Wayne)...bicycles...and a giant furry ball/birth canal thingy. Weird does not begin to describe it. Here's the link:
http://www.nme.com/news/the-flaming-lips/48337
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Wed 18 Nov 2009, 17:58

Barking mad - but I love it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Wed 18 Nov 2009, 18:30

ticky wrote:
BTW Mrs W, what was that song they played - loads of strobes/noise - just after the cornet?
That was "Free Radicals" from 'At War with the Mystics'. Glad you had a top night, Ticky! albino

Thanks for the heads up on Stardeath Chrissie. I didn't know about the family connection, but it they had such a strongly linked look and sound for that to make perfect sense! Am off to watch that crazy cosmic Watching the Planets video now. flower Thumbs Up!

TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Thu 19 Nov 2009, 12:38

TamedLamia wrote:
At one of my music magazinhes they discuss, if the new Flaming Lips-CD is "the Pink Floyd of the Millenium" or the "ummagumma Side 4 of the millenium" Wink

and in the last issue a disgusted reader said that Wayne should go to the funny farm and take the reviewer with him Shocked Rolling Eyes
Not sure when, but maybe I try that strange new record because I even like Ummagumma's fourth side... What a Face
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Fri 20 Nov 2009, 15:18

TamedLamia wrote:
and in the last issue a disgusted reader said that Wayne should go to the funny farm and take the reviewer with him Shocked Rolling Eyes
Not sure when, but maybe I try that strange new record because I even like Ummagumma's fourth side... What a Face

TL, a lot of people, even fans and critics who generally like the Flaming Lips, are having a negative reaction to this new album. There's a lot of wondering if the band have "gone too far". I think they sounded this far-out when they first began, so it doesn't bother me, but I know many fans discovered them later, when they had some more radio-friendly material out. I think it's a really good album, but just not for everybody!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Sun 13 Dec 2009, 11:23

For all you Flips fans out there - God I love this band!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LzW9O40OLw&feature=player_embedded
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Sun 13 Dec 2009, 16:50

Ha ha ha, excellent sales pitch Wayne.

Ticky, maybe you could treat yourself to the long-awaited FLips epic, "Christmas on Mars:"

ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Sun 13 Dec 2009, 17:57

Want it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Mon 14 Dec 2009, 10:04

ChrissieInFL wrote:
TamedLamia wrote:

TL, a lot of people, even fans and critics who generally like the Flaming Lips, are having a negative reaction to this new album. There's a lot of wondering if the band have "gone too far". I think they sounded this far-out when they first began, so it doesn't bother me, but I know many fans discovered them later, when they had some more radio-friendly material out. I think it's a really good album, but just not for everybody!

Hmmm...sounds familiar to me as an Elbow-Fan...wonder what happens to the "One day like this"-Fans if the Elboys make it true to sound on their next record really "shoegazy and psychedelic". Would be some back-to-the-roots too if I think of "Bitten by the Tailfly" and "Whisper Grass" What a Face
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Tue 15 Dec 2009, 15:27

I've just found out that FL are headlining at the Green Man Festival next August - ONLY 20 MILES AWAY FROM ME!!! Well that's my August bank holiday sorted out!

Hey, Mr and Mrs W - what are you up to late summer 2010!!?!?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Wed 16 Dec 2009, 22:58

ticky wrote:
I've just found out that FL are headlining at the Green Man Festival next August - ONLY 20 MILES AWAY FROM ME!!! Well that's my August bank holiday sorted out!

Hey, Mr and Mrs W - what are you up to late summer 2010!!?!?!

That's a very good idea, ticky. Mrs W will be in touch...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Wed 16 Dec 2009, 23:46

ticky wrote:

Oooooh, Ticky, you lucky so-and-so! I haven't seen them for a year plus and I am well overdue for a FLips fix! cyclops
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   

Back to top Go down

Flaming Lips
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: