elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Flaming Lips

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Wed 13 Apr 2011, 13:56

ticky wrote:
This one's killing me - does anyone want to buy 3 tickets for Flips at Alexandra Palace on Friday, 1st July - they're playing all of 'The Soft Bulletin'.

God, I so wish I could! What a show that will be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Sun 03 Jul 2011, 15:55

Yesterday's Jodrell Bank 'Transmisions' all-dayer was pretty spectacular: The full running order was Alice Gold, Wave DJs (from Wave Machine, presumed to be partly-absent hence the DJ set), OK Go!, British Sea Power, then The Flaming Lips.

As you might expect for a venue which is the astronomical research centre of the University of Manchester and operates e-MERLIN, the UK's national radio astronomy facility, it was a geek- and family-friendly atmosphere. Some serious fans made the effort to dress as space beings and furry animals (very brave as it was red hot!).

Here's some highlights. Skip to 3:07 if you're not fussed with the bubble or science bits.

View user profile http://elbowfans.org
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Wed 07 May 2014, 17:50

Damn. I have now officially (and sadly) accepted that Wayne Coyne is a giant douche canoe and that I can no longer listen to the FLips without feeling many sads. I just read former drummer Kliph Scurlock's account of his recent firing by Wayne, and it is pretty awful. I've heard other tales of Wayne's ego/temper/whatever raging out of control, but I had always hoped these were random, insupportable rumors. But this story seems entirely likely and I can't say I doubt any of it. Bad form, Wayne. Very bad form.  Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Wed 14 May 2014, 08:05

Ooof, what a difference a week makes.

I was saddened to hear about the FLips spat and didn't really know what to make of it initially.

Of course, Wayne's capricious personality has been newsworthy before (e.g. being kicked off Instagram repeatedly for too many ladygarden pictures...), but this was harder to take on board.

Seems now Kliph has relented and seen things from another perspective, one where he hasn't taken things so personally.

http://exclaim.ca/News/ousted_flaming_lips_drummer_kliph_scurlock_clarifies_he_does_not_think_wayne_coyne_is_racist

Kliph's recent epic, rambling retraction:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:I3Vpgy_PWb4J:https://www.facebook.com/kliphscurlock/posts/10151976634221571+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Well, I guess it's a reminder we're all flawed people. Even/especially those brilliant, super-creative musicians we admire.

View user profile http://elbowfans.org
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   Wed 14 May 2014, 17:03

Well, the plot thickens! I hadn't seen those new statements, so thanks for the links. Still not sure I can say what happened here, though I suspect both parties involved were to blame to some degree. I do know that Wayne's been reportedly going through some sort of "midlife crisis" or another - split with the wife, chasing the younger ladies, some rather icky behavior and all the other sadly typical stuff. Just not the same type of persona we're used to seeing from him, but as you said everybody's human. As long as there is some prospect of continued good music/shows in their future, I can focus on that. Hope the FLips ship can right itself sooner rather than later!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flaming Lips   

Back to top Go down

Flaming Lips
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: