elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

R.E.M.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   Fri 23 Sep 2011, 15:31

The news about REM was the first thing I saw when I turned my mobile back on after arriving home from Atlanta this week, and it was really sad. Not surprising, necessarily, but sad, because it is really the end of a very special part of my life. REM were sorta my Elbow, back in my teens and early twenties - I found them before a lot of my friends did and enjoyed them on my own for a while before people started catching on, just as it has been with Elbow. And, also like Elbow, they captured a time and a frame of mind that grew with me and reflected a lot of what I felt and experienced during that period of my life. I can't even list all the moments I've had in my life where REM were the soundtrack, but there were many.

I hate that they are being looked upon by many people as being a crappy band now. That's just not the case, AT ALL. Anyone who's seen them live in recent years knows that they still had plenty of fire and plenty of chops. In the studio, it was another story, but even having said that, some of their most memorable songs have come from the last 6 or 7 albums they did - you know, all the LP's that the hipster kids think it's cool to hate on now. Around the Sun aside (I really can't defend that one much at all), there were some strong, strong moments, and I thought the whole of New Adventures in Hi-Fi was solid, despite the shellacking it took from most people. I probably play that one, in full, just as often as I play Murmur or Automatic or any of the "older" stuff.

Nobody else in all of music sounds like them, no matter how many have tried to do just that. They were just huge in their abilities and their influence, and I really consider myself lucky to have grown up in a time when they were around. I hope they will all be happy, and that they have at least some inkling of how many people they've reached over the years through their music. They are, were, and always will be among the best bands ever, and I'll miss them a lot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puncture Repair
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   Sun 25 Sep 2011, 20:26

It came as a real shock to me that R.E.M had split up - although it seems others knew it was around the corner.
I was listening to "I'll Take the Rain" at the time. It was pretty emotional.

I feel a little cheeky for saying this in an Elbow forum - but R.E.M are my favourite band.
I started listening to them only about a year ago, but they've made me see music in such a different way.
"Automatic for the People" is my favourite LP hands down, it's always so fresh every time I listen to it.
I savour every moment of it.
It also holds my favourite song, Find the River. It's such a poignant, melancholy ending and incredible song overall. The lyrics feel so applicable, yet so bizarre.

Perhaps, now that R.E.M have called it a day, Elbow will come out top.
They've got huge potential, and don't seem to be wasting any of it.

Here's to R.E.M and Elbow!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nancy
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-06-18

PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   Mon 26 Sep 2011, 21:10

I guess they thought it was the ideal moment for them to stop, now that they're at the end of their Warner Brothers contract.

Mike Mills on Why R.E.M. Are Calling It Quits

Quote :
Anyone who's seen them live in recent years knows that they still had plenty of fire and plenty of chops
They have never disappointed me live, their shows remained amazing until the end…

Quote :
I thought the whole of New Adventures in Hi-Fi was solid,
I like ‘Adventures’ and ‘Monster’ a lot.I know a lot of people don't like ‘Up’ but I really like that one, I think it's an underrated album with songs like Falls To Climb, Sad Professor and Parakeet

Quote :
They've had some ups and downs for sure but even on the 'lesser' albums there was always a gem or two
True. I don’t like ‘Reveal’ as a whole but ‘Imitation Of Life’ and ‘I’ll Take The Rain’ are gems. Same with ‘Man Sized Wreath’ and ‘Supernatural Superserious’ on ‘Accelerate’, which are songs that I really like.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   Mon 26 Sep 2011, 21:36

Sarah wrote:
I saw them at live8, they were fantastic, Monster was a real musical memory of my childhood, my Dad really loved that yellow tape!
I remember watching Live8 on the beeb. They interrupted REM's set to cut to Fearne Cotton interviewing Razorlight. We shouted at the tv, I seem to recall.
Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fragrant_monkey
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2011-03-04

PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   Tue 01 Nov 2011, 17:16

Just stumbled on this thread and found myself reading all about other people's memories of REM, so felt prompted to chip in my twopenn'eth.
REM has always seemed to evoke special memories for me. Mrs FM and I were both introduced to REM about 1990 by my step=daughter's then boyfriend who has fanatical about the band. My wife doted on the boyfriend, and was devastated when he left the scene and married his secretary! But the liking for him lived on through REM.
We have seen them play live twice. The first was on 8th July 2005, at Portman Road football ground in Ipswich. They opened with Everybody Hurts, Michael dedicating it to those killed and injured in the London bombings of the previous day. Just remembering that moment brings huge emotions flooding back, given that I had been so close to the events of that awful day. No piece of music ever moved me to tears before, and that song still has the power to do it even today.
The second time was a happier occasion, at Twickenham on the Accelerate tour. Guillemots and Editors provided the warm-up, and even though we were stuck up in the gods at the far end of the stadium, we still had a great day.
It is a real shame to think that we won't see them again, but life moves on, and so must we. Just be grateful for those memories that we can revisit simply by listening.

When the day is long and the night, the night is yours alone,
When you're sure you've had enough of this life, well hang on
Don't let yourself go, 'cause everybody cries and everybody hurts sometimes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   Wed 21 May 2014, 20:10

Any big-time R.E.M. fans will have heard about this by now, but if not:

R.E.M. Releases Massive Rarities Compilation

"...The Complete Rarities: I.R.S. 1982-1987 contains 25 non-album tracks, including in-studio covers of Velvet Underground’s “There She Goes Again” and various b-sides. Also an option is The Complete Rarities: Warner Bros: 1988-2011, which contains 131 non-album tracks, this time including more live recordings (soundchecks included), instrumental versions and alternate mixes (a “Dance to the Music” take on “Shiny Happy People” anyone?). Each of the offerings include R.E.M.’s debut EP Chronic Town, which is still unavailable on CD...All releases are available on both Amazon and iTunes and are “Mastered for iTunes” editions."

Full article here: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/05/rem-releases-complete-compilation.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   

Back to top Go down

R.E.M.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: