elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

U2..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: U2..   Fri 13 Jun 2008, 22:20

I'm going to give the U2 boys a shout.
Mixed stuff over the years, and various etc. However, particularly brilliant at times and very clever.
Some great earlier stuff (although they distance themselves from it ?)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Sat 14 Jun 2008, 14:15

I thought they were at their best from War til about Joshua Tree. Since then they've been patchy although I qute like Achtung Baby.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Tue 17 Jun 2008, 13:31

Used to love them almost to the point of religious worship. This was waaaay back of course, when I was in high school and they had just released War. Saw them live 6 times over the years, and the first gig I saw (on the War tour) was the best, just because they were still raw and they were trying hard to impress. I was in the 6th row of a small theatre for the War show and I managed to grab Bono's butt when he went crowd-surfing (which he still did back then; can you imagine him trying it now?), not on purpose mind you, but his rear just happened to be the part of him that landed in my hands as he was passed overhead. It was a bit flabby actually. Laughing

ChrissyBoy, you make a good point; I didn't hear them play too much of the material from the first few albums after they got really big, and I wish they would've. Some of it would still sound great, I bet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Wed 12 Nov 2008, 20:01

Guess I have to join this topic, as I am (sometimes) proud owner of all U2 albums, almost every DVD, a few books and a collection of magazine stuff.
I am U2 fan since ATYCLB. It started all with "Stuck in a moment you can't get out of it". I had some shitty times back then and when I first saw the video and Bono sang "this time will pass" I just cried. Well, and became a fan. I love the first stuff more (War, Boy, October). They sounded raw in the beginning. To be honest, I can't listen to Joshua Tree, cause every day you here a song in the radio. Rattle & Ham is great, underrated but great (Listen to heartland, it took me a while to recognice how great this song is). And then there is my Baby - Achtung Baby (not even the band can pronounce it the right way! Very Happy). Quite a few good songs on it. But my all-time-favourite is Pop! It wasn't very succesfull for the band, but who cares, I like it!! Great songs! And the last two albums... well, my fan-beeing started with "all that you can't leave behind" but they've done better. And "how to dismantle...." wasn't better! They are releasing a new album in February (Yeah... sure... Rolling Eyes ), let's hope they are getting back to the roots! Smile
And Bono... well, I love him but sometimes he's a real pain in the arse! Very Happy I worship him a lot for trying to safe the world, but sometimes it's just too much! And for fucks' sake, give him that Nobel Prize!!! He deserved it, cause he was into saving Africa even before U2 become famous!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Thu 13 Nov 2008, 17:09

theyre good. i like the edge's style of playing

can take them or leave them a little bit though...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Fri 14 Nov 2008, 06:12

I actually have no U2 records, but that's not to say I won't some day. There's too much interesting music out there...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator

Male Number of posts : 1813

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Fri 14 Nov 2008, 08:20

Used to love them in the '80s, but apart from the odd gem, nothing recently has been that good.

I went to see them on the last tour and was disappointed by the lack of old material.

"Two Hearts" is a superb song.

Jones
we're away
we're away

Female Number of posts : 2266

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Wed 19 Nov 2008, 20:17

First ever gig I went to was U2 in Rotterdam (The Joshua Tree tour 1987) and I haven't missed a U2 tour since.
Yes, they have had their ups and downs but I am a loyal fan and do always enjoy their shows (as long as you try to ignore Bono's God-complex).
One of the most moving gigs I have ever been to was the U2 one in Slane (Ireland) the day after Bono had buried his father. There wasn't a dry eye in the crowd.
Funny, but I always felt they lost their direction a bit in the nIneties (Achtung Baby, Pop etc) but they seem to have returned to form recently. City of Blinding Lights is wonderful and at the gigs when all the lights come on at the start of it, it is really quite impressive!
As for my fav U2 song, it's Angel of Harlem. An often overlooked piece of brilliance.
There was a poll here some years ago and the Irish people voted "One" as the best U2 song ever with "Bad" in second place and "With or Without You" third.
Squazzillions of people voted and I remember everybody talking about it for weeks before and after the poll.
Anyway, leaving aside all Bono's preaching and politics (and the houses in the south of France!) I think it's pretty admirable that they're still going after all these years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Wed 19 Nov 2008, 23:31

Agree with you on just about all of that Jones. I too was a massive fan until about the early 90's, indeed the best "big" gig I've ever been to was U2 at Elland Road Leeds on the Joshua Tree tour. I've never seen a stadium crowd so swept up in the atmosphere generated from the stage, and without a big light show, video screens etc.. Maybe Bono's God complex can be used to good effect eh? Very Happy

I've fallen out with their work in recent years, much like I did with REM, but a couple of my mates are still big fans so I may give them another try.

My fav song is an unusual one, it's Promenade off the Unforgettable Fire LP. I dunno why cos it's an obvious improvised throwaway, but the line " Cherry dance with me turn me around tonight" gets me misty eyed every time. I also used to love An Cat Dubh live. The Edge's guitar playing is superb on this, do they still do it live?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Fri 21 Nov 2008, 18:52

The earlier albums take me back to growing up. I played Under a Blood Red Sky to death.

Always remember the Live Aid performance of Bad. "We're an irish band we come from Dublin City ireland, in our town there's a lot of good and a lot of bad. this is a song called Bad.." (or somehting like.)

sure i had the odd tear to that song over a former girlfriend !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Mon 19 Jan 2009, 15:54

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,

finally, the day has arrived and after 5 years and many delays the new single "Get on your boots" is out!!!!
It's not that bad... really! Very Happy
It takes getting used to it but after all it sound like a mix of the early 80s and early 90s.
And the bass is off da hook!! *LOL*
Oh yeah, and Bono doesn't want to talk about war anymore (lyrics).. Yeah, yeah... what was yesterday at the concert for Obama??? *LOL*
You just have to love him (or not - there is nothing in between Very Happy).

Naaa, I am just happy to hear something new!!!! Beer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emma G
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Mon 19 Jan 2009, 20:37

Heard the new single today. Thought it was absolutely terrible I'm afraid. Such a shame - U2 were the first band I ever saw. I was utterly obsessed with them while at school (about 100 years ago). But now I can't really be bothered with them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Tue 20 Jan 2009, 08:51

Not my favourite band, BUT Achtung Baby is one of the seminal rock albums of the early 90s IMO. A great record. I don't listen to it very often, but still get goosebumps if I hear the distorted opening of "Zoo Station". I think it was an incredible achievement to reinvent their sound so successfully. I have always liked the Edge's guitar sound as well.

I don't really like massive stadium concerts, but I have to admit that U2 at Wembley stadium sometime in the 90s (the details are a bit hazy!) was a fantastic event - they must be one of the best stadium acts ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Tue 20 Jan 2009, 10:41

Emma G wrote:
Heard the new single today. Thought it was absolutely terrible I'm afraid.
Ditto.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Sat 07 Feb 2009, 09:21

Whatch in humbleness you heathens!!! Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOMfbJyuISA&eurl=http://www.u2tour.de/

I think if fucking rocks!!!!! I'll be a U2 follower forever!!! Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Fri 27 Feb 2009, 15:37

New album out, TODAY! Very Happy

As far as I can say throgh listening to it for one time:
Out of 11 songs
4 are very good
6 are good
1 one... Yeah well...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jones
we're away
we're away

Female Number of posts : 2266

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Sat 28 Feb 2009, 11:12

That is usally my first impression of new U2 albums but I always find that the songs that don't 'grab' you at first listen are the ones that turn into the favourites. They're 'growers' if you like...
I quite like the new album...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr Evil
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Sun 01 Mar 2009, 07:40

I think the ZOO TV video and concerts were a brilliant concept. And Bono was right about their success being down to sticking together and not letting ego get in the way, and how greater bands fell by the wayside due to egotism of each member. He didn't mention any names-he is too nice-but both The Bunnymen and the Chameleons come to mind. U2 are still making creative progress even now.
Being a loyal band is what made Elbow great as well, and it's good to see them reaping the rewards. Always having the ability to find the "next big thing" I saw them in a small venue in Portsmouth, but if they ever do U2 style stadiums I will not bother seeing them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Sun 01 Mar 2009, 10:19

Haven't downloaded the new album yet. Don't mind the single.
Watched a bit of them on BBCi red button yesterday playing on the rooftop, I always think they were/are one of the best live bands - there always a great connection with them - even if Bono does lose the plot at times. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Sun 01 Mar 2009, 11:11

ChrissyBoy wrote:

even if Bono does lose the plot at times. Laughing

Bono? Naaah, are we talking about the same person??? *LOL*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Thu 12 Mar 2009, 18:40

This is actually quite a good album, takes a good few listens to get into but you get more out of the songs with every listen. Shades of earlier stuff cropping up through the tracks.

You either love em or hate em !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Fri 13 Mar 2009, 17:00

Huge band very poular people love em, personally I can't stand them, cant stand the music and most of all if there is a more pompous self important twit in the world than Bono I would like to meet him.
But it would be a boring old world if we all liked everything the same ,with the exception of Elbow of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator

Male Number of posts : 1813

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Mon 16 Mar 2009, 15:16

ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Fri 31 Jul 2009, 16:52

Waaaaaaaaah! I have been to my first U2 Concert! Very Happy

Watch this! I LOVE this version!!!

Berlin+18.7.2009= I WAS THERE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD4Kj0u5G1k
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: U2..   Fri 31 Jul 2009, 18:44

Many years ago I fell asleep (well, passed out drunk) on top of The Edge. I don't remember anything of it, but my ex husband said he was very sweet and looked after me for some time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: U2..   

Back to top Go down

U2..
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: