elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Kate Bush

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Wed 14 Sep 2011, 08:39

Just got notification from Facebook that Kate has a new album coming out. Called '50 words for snow' and is out in November. Can't wait!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator

Male Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Wed 14 Sep 2011, 12:51

Excellent news!

The Final Track
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Wed 14 Sep 2011, 17:14

Looking forward Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Tue 15 Nov 2011, 12:54

Anyone listened to "Wild Man", or in fact any of the rest of "50 Words..." yet?

Wild Man is on Spotify. With it's simple guitar motif driving the song forward, counterbalanced with Himalayan majesty (and plenty of sonic detail), punctuated by bursts of drama, this is seven minutes of pure aural delight. And it is a song about the yeti! By Kate Bush! What's not to like?
Her voice sounds both wise and yet wondering. The whole thing has a beautifully crafted, timeless quality.

Form is temporary, class is permanent, as the cliché goes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Tue 15 Nov 2011, 17:35

The whole album is streaming on NPR. http://www.npr.org/2011/11/13/142133269/first-listen-kate-bush-50-words-for-snow

It is a wonder, I think. Wintry, spare rather than sparse, sometimes lush even. Reading some reviews you might think it a minimilist record (at least the opening trio), but I don't get that impression at all, it's just that nothing is wasted, every note, every breath is essential. I love the understated jazzy groove that kind of subliminally permeates this record as well. The upbeat "Wild Man" is great, and and even the love story across time that is "Snowed in At Wheeler Street" is fabulous, even though Elton tries to spoil it by overdoing things at the end. And the finale, "Among Angels", oh my word...

I must add that Steve Gadd's percussion is beautifully judged on this record, restrained but not in the least colourless. Rather like his work 3 decades ago on Rickie Lee Jones' "Pirates" (another fave of mine), he shows what a great session musician he has been over the years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The DaddyO 44
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Fri 25 Nov 2011, 14:51

'50 Words...' is a remarkable piece of work, and an album that could only have been made by someone with many years of experience behind them. It's a very grown-up record which credits it's listeners with patience, intelligence, and a wonderful sense of adventure. It is also a welcome antidote to the saturated brickwall compression employed in much music these days - Kate knows the power of the space between the sounds - to hell with the pressure of 'radio-play' let's make real album.
In many ways the instrumentation harks right back to '78 ('The Kick Inside', 'Lionheart') - lots of piano, bass, and drums (loose cymbal work, and tom-tom fills) backed up with gorgeous orchestral flourishes. Kates voice though has matured beautifully since those days; her diction is still unmatched but is now suffused with subtlety, soul, and three decades of life lived.
Of the seven long pieces here, I would say four are instant and indisputable classics - 'Snowflake', 'Lake Tahoe', 'Misty', and 'Among Angels' excel and astound with simple, economic sophistication (and these four alone play for longer than Radiohead's entire 'King Of Limbs' fiasco of disappointment!). It's tracks 4, 5, and 6 that will have critics debating. 'Wild Man' the first of these (and the obvious 'stab' at a single)sounded innocuous enough when released prior to the album, but here feels a little thin following the three monumental songs, and 35 minutes preceeding it. The biggest misfire though must be the choice of Elton John to duet on 'Snowed In At Wheeler Street' - a worthy and haunting song made tired and over'egged by his mere presence. Track 6, the title song, whilst sounding Lemon Jelly-esque with Stephen Fry's spoken list of terms for snow, fairs much better. It evokes something strange and slightly dark even though on the face of it is the most sprightly thing here. It will get under your skin in the way only Kate Bush can.
On this release I think Kate has reinforced her 'genius' status more than anyone could have hoped, particularly for someone this far into their career. And just as 'Aerial' was a perfect summer soundtrack, '50 Words...' will warm and enchant those long winter nights.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Fri 21 Mar 2014, 08:48

Just announced Kate will doing a 12 gig this September. Tickets on sale next friday and be gone in a second I shouldn't wonder. First tour in a zillion years. At the hammersmith apollo london. I have every album she's ever produced, tickets will be like gold dust.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Fri 21 Mar 2014, 09:49

Lynne wrote:
Just announced Kate will doing a 12 gig this September. Tickets on sale next friday and be gone in a second I shouldn't wonder. First tour in a zillion years. At the hammersmith apollo london. I have every album she's ever produced, tickets will be like gold dust.

first gigs since 1979 i believe...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator

Male Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Fri 21 Mar 2014, 14:24

And that was the only tour she ever did.

errant
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Fri 21 Mar 2014, 14:27

MagicalTrevor wrote:
And that was the only tour she ever did.

and here's me complaining that elbow don't play tracks from their first there albums anymore...  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Sat 22 Mar 2014, 09:58

Where would she even begin to start on her set list, could be an all-nighter! Just need to get the tickets first!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jones
we're away
we're away

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Sat 22 Mar 2014, 18:22

That is amazing news, Lynne!
I hope you get tickets, I will keep my fingers crossed for you!
I love Kate  I love you 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Sat 22 Mar 2014, 20:53

This Womans Work - staggering song..........don't really know much else apart from the very well known one's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Fri 28 Mar 2014, 17:21

How can it be that with the strict rules on the buyer producing picture ID on the night of the gig policy, no bill payer with ID no entry that there are tickets for sale on get me in for a mere 989 pounds each!! The world has gone crazy? Gutted that me, my hubby and sister frantically tried online for 20 minutes this morning! Touts, how I hate them. So if you're rich and famous then great, for the die-hard fans then basically it's tough shit! Maybe next time when Kate is knocking on 80, maybe I might get lucky.........  Sad 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   

Back to top Go down

Kate Bush
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: