elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Kate Bush

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Kate Bush   Sun 01 Jun 2008, 01:49

Since I'm listening to her classic 'Hounds of Love' for the first time I decided to start a thread. Any fans? My introduction to her was her work with Peter Gabriel.

Have to say I'm loving the second half of the album, surpisingly unique
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator

Male Number of posts : 1813

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Sun 01 Jun 2008, 06:46

"The Man with The Child in his Eyes" is one of the best songs ever written IMO.

The latest album was pretty good as well, songs about washing machines, Pi and Rolf Harris!

leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Sun 01 Jun 2008, 10:22

Yep, another fan here, my other half has a couple of her early albums on ye olde cassette tape, although they're almost 30 years old and the tape's nearly worn out, so we don't play them any more. 'Hounds Of Love' is a classic, I have 'Aerial' (her latest album) but haven't listened to it much - in fact, I think I'll give it a spin in a minute!

'Surprisingly unique' is right, I can't think of anybody quite like Kate.

Isn't Guy a big fan too? I think he's mentioned it on his 6 Music show.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Sun 01 Jun 2008, 14:02

Hey that's cool! I love it when artists I like.. like other artists I like. Eh? Smile Seems to me that Kate Bush deserves my attention so I'm gonna dig a bit deeper into her catalogue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Mon 02 Jun 2008, 08:28

I love Kate Bush. Have been a fan since Wuthering Heights came out. I was ill in bed with chicken pox and reading Lord Of The Rings when it was released. Hearing that song always reminds of that time.
I love the song sequence of The Ninth Wave (side 2 of Hounds of Love). Definitely unique. It's about a woman drowning out at sea , if you didn't know

My other favourite stuff is Never for Ever where she first started experimenting with sound, and The Dreaming. She described The Dreaming as her 'bonkers' album and I remember it being panned at the time. I loved it then and I still do. I believe it's now regarded as something of a classic. Lionheart is a typical 'difficult second album'. It was rushed and is my least favourite album. The Red Shoes is overly long and a bit patchy. Other than that, fill your boots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Tue 03 Jun 2008, 08:07

I love Kate Bush, too. It's weird, actually, she was one of those "institutions" when I was growing up and hearing people who've never heard her would make me feel really old if I bothered about that sort of thing.
However, I remember when Wuthering Heights came out it drove me mad - I hated it. But a friend bullied me with the Kick Inside album for ages, and I thought the music and lyrics were so good I had to get used to her voice. Which I did and have loved her ever since. It's great to hear someone loving the Dreaming - so do I; I love it's weirdness and could never understand why it was hated so much - it's great when an artist develops from album to album and isn't afraid to experiment. My personal favourites are Hounds of Love and The Sensual World, where she works with the amazing Trio Bulgarka singers.
As an aside I've always enjoyed the contribution from her brother, Paddy Bush, and wondered why he isn't better known as a musician - then I recently tracked down an album "Skyscraping" he made as Bushtucker with Colin Lloyd Tucker which is a lovely album.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Tue 03 Jun 2008, 12:01

....Not a fan.... in fact, with the exception of a few songs, she annoys the living daylights out of me...perhaps now would be a good time to run and hide from y'all, before you start throwing rotten vegetables in my general direction. pale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Tue 03 Jun 2008, 13:01

No problem, judging from my early opinion/experience I'd have no room to talk. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
butterfingersbimbo
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Thu 12 Jun 2008, 11:16

I like a lot of Kate Bush's music but not all of it. I found a version of Kate and Peter Gabriel singing Roy Harper's "Another Day" a couple of weeks ago on youtube and it was magical. I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator

Male Number of posts : 1813

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Thu 12 Jun 2008, 11:24

You mean this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKAOu37oMkM

Thanks for telling me about it! Never seen or heard of it before, amazing. Back when they were both a lot thinner Wink

Mind you I can talk...

Last edited by MagicalTrevor on Mon 03 Jan 2011, 18:09; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://elbow.heavenforum.com
butterfingersbimbo
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Thu 12 Jun 2008, 11:28

That's the one! They look so young lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Fri 13 Jun 2008, 15:16

Thanks for that. One I'd never seen or heard of before. That was fabulous.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Female Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Fri 13 Jun 2008, 19:37

I really like Kate Bush. She is so special.
And I think, that duet with Gabriel is so heartrending beautiful that I don't want to know the original somehow...
btw, Guy Garvey likes her too, he said he feels like she could be some kind of a elder sister for him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Sat 14 Jun 2008, 14:33

Memory lane... I saw that TV show in '79 and the Kate Bush & Peter Gabriel duet haunted me ever since (it was in the days before we had a VCR even) - especially when a friend introduced me to some Roy Harer albums a few years later & I recognised the song immediately! I tracked down a dodgy DVD of it (the Kate Bush prog) a few years ago, and it's since become widely available on YouTube, thank goodness. :-) TL, you really should hear the Roy Harper version; it's gorgeous, but in a different way of course (but then I've been a big Roy Harper fan for many years).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
butterfingersbimbo
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Sun 15 Jun 2008, 05:27

OOOO another Roy Harper fan! I think he is so underated, and his version is just as you say. Have not heard any of his new stuff tho, is it any good? Stormcock is an excellent album.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Sun 15 Jun 2008, 20:06

That video was wonderful!! Thanks very much for that, guys Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Mon 16 Jun 2008, 07:50

Quote :
Have not heard any of his new stuff tho, is it any good? Stormcock is an excellent album.

Stormcock is and probably always will be one of my absolute favourites. I "lost touch" for a while and the most recent albu of hism I know really well is "Once" - which is brilliant, as is everything up to it, esspecially Jugula which he did with Jimmy Page. The most recent album I have is the Dream Society which is also good, and I've heard good things about Green Man - keep meaning to pick up a copy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
grandslamms
newborn
newborn

Male Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Fri 23 Jan 2009, 17:12

Just played The Dreaming today. (Played it last week as well!).
This is such a brilliant Album. Inventive, original etc. this was such a risky release for her in the early '80s, and was slagged off, as I remember, by a narrow minded bunch of self important music journalists......
But now, its regarded as an absolute classic.

Love all her work (Red Shoes is somewhat patchy but does have the sublime 'Moments of Pleasure')
Aerial is, in our opinion, brilliant.

Caron.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Sun 25 Jan 2009, 14:57

I always liked The Dreaming. I loved the fact that it was so different when it was released. I ignored the critics. What do they know anyway?

BTW there's a nice article about Kate in this month's Word magazine.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Mon 24 May 2010, 16:43

Another drag back from the depths - I'm listening to "Breathing" (which features Roy Harper on backing vocals), and although I'm familier with the track I've never really listened to it before. Blimey, it is one dark song isn't it? But then Kate has never been afraid to touch the darker side of human nature in her songs.

Also agree with MagicalTrevor about "The Man with the Child in His Eyes". It is beautiful, but there is a sense of ambiguity about it too, a bittersweetness or even a menace there if you choose to view it that way, which is part of it's brilliance IMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Final Track
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Mon 03 Jan 2011, 18:05

Got Hounds Of Love for Christmas and have been obsessed with December Will Be Magic Again since November Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Female Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Sun 15 May 2011, 17:04

I'm checking out the streaming of Kate's 'Director's Cut' in readiness for getting it when it comes out to buy tomorrow. Sounds lovely.

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/12/136220377/first-listen-kate-bush-directors-cut

some talk/interviews about it here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/4b585938-f271-45e2-b19a-91c634b5e396#p00gtnyf
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Mon 16 May 2011, 15:43

Can't believe I haven't posted on this thread. I love Kate Bush, loved her since Wuthering Heights although that was a distant memory, I remember my dad having a serious crush on her but then didn't every man when she first came out.

Hounds of Love and Sensual World are my favourite albums but I'm also a fan of Aerial too. Not sure what to make of the new version of her new single, forgive me I've forgotten the title although heard it on the radio, don't like the way they've computerised her voice, not really my cup of tea. I did here on the grapevine that she was considering another tour!

Just came to me "A deeper understanding"!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Tue 17 May 2011, 16:36

Lynne wrote:
don't like the way they've computerised her voice, not really my cup of tea. I did here on the grapevine that she was considering another tour!

It's Kate that has computerised the voice, and it's not her but her son, Bertie. There's a big article in this month's MOJO magazine.

Not heard anything about a tour but new music has been written and recorded. When/if it gets released is another thing.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Female Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   Tue 31 May 2011, 12:15

Kate Bush preparing new album
Kate Bush tells 6 Music she's "working on a new record," but rules out a tour.
26/05/2011Mark Savage

Kate Bush says she has already started work on the follow-up to her new album.
Director's Cut, which features re-worked tracks from her back catalogue, went into the charts at number two on Sunday.
Speaking to 6 Music, she said there were already plans to release new material.
"I'm working on a new record," the 52-year-old singer-songwriter told Mark Radcliffe.
"It's all kinds of bits and pieces, really. There's always ideas buzzing around, but it's whether they actually end up materialising into a song.
"It's quite an elusive process."
Given Bush's notoriously languid work rate, however, there's no guarantee the new CD will be ready with any immediacy.
The singer also addressed rumours that she was planinng to tour - which have gained currency despite the fact she's only ever hit the road once, for the 28-date Tour Of Life in 1979.
"People always presume I didn't enjoy that tour," she protested. "I did enjoy it."
"[But] I haven't got any plans to do any live shows whatsoever. I'm very much engrossed in trying to making new material.
"I'm extremely flattered that people are interested."
Director's Cut, released on May 16, revisits songs from the Sensual World and Red Shoes albums, originally released in 1989 and 1993 respectively.
One of the key songs is the title track to The Sensual World, now renamed Flower Of The Mountain.
The new version has reinstates the lyrics Bush originally intended, which were taken from a soliloquy in James Joyce's Ulysses.
In the following excerpt, she tells Mark Radcliffe about the inspiration for the project, and how long it took to piece together.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20110526_katebush.shtml

audio interview links of Kate speaking on 6 website.

You can hear more of the Kate Bush interview on Radcliffe and Maconie's programme pages.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kate Bush   

Back to top Go down

Kate Bush
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: