elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Birmingham - 28/11/12

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Space_Dementia24
newborn
newborn

Male Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-11-27

PostSubject: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Tue 27 Nov 2012, 21:58

Who is going to this show tomorrow? can't wait.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinTin
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Tue 27 Nov 2012, 22:27

Me and hubby ! Cannot wait ! Sounds like a fantastic set. Have always wanted to hear Grace under pressure live, love The night will always win, in fact it all sounds well planned out for an amazing night ! Wish l could go to all the shows . It's gonna feel like a looooong break. Least we've got the new album on the horizon :-D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Adderz
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Tue 27 Nov 2012, 22:39

I'll be there too! Should be fantastic! =)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Space_Dementia24
newborn
newborn

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Tue 27 Nov 2012, 22:57

Will be my 4th time to see them, it being kinda of a 'farewell' tour makes it even more that special, cant wait for 'Leaders of the Free World', going to be epic!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Adderz
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Tue 27 Nov 2012, 23:17

Space_Dementia24 wrote:
Will be my 4th time to see them, it being kinda of a 'farewell' tour makes it even more that special, cant wait for 'Leaders of the Free World', going to be epic!

This is my first time! I can't believe it's taken me this long to see them. Alas it looks as though I might waiting a fair while for any more live tours.

Me too! Leaders is such a fantastic song, once of my favorites. So glad it's on the set list! Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Space_Dementia24
newborn
newborn

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Tue 27 Nov 2012, 23:22

is there any fan meet up for this gig? travelling from wales on my own, be cool to meet up with fellow Elbow fans
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Adderz
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Tue 27 Nov 2012, 23:40

Space_Dementia24 wrote:
is there any fan meet up for this gig? travelling from wales on my own, be cool to meet up with fellow Elbow fans

Not sure if anything has been arranged. Haven't seen anything so far. You're from South Wales? I'm living in Cardiff at the moment (although it says I'm from Worcester). I'm going from there tomorrow too =)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Space_Dementia24
newborn
newborn

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Tue 27 Nov 2012, 23:45

Adderz wrote:
Space_Dementia24 wrote:

Not sure if anything has been arranged. Haven't seen anything so far. You're from South Wales? I'm living in Cardiff at the moment (although it says I'm from Worcester). I'm going from there tomorrow too =)

Cool, same, the 10:45 im catching, from Cardiff and yeah, Im from Merthyr.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Wed 28 Nov 2012, 06:58

I'm travelling up from Gloucestershire so see you all there in line! Can't wait. It's going to be awesome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Wed 28 Nov 2012, 12:20

Me and the hubby will be there, so excited, really looking forward to some new if not old additions to the setlist! Birmingham here we come!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Thu 29 Nov 2012, 01:41

I went to Birmingham tonight. Dare I say it- better than last year! The set list sampled four albums of their current five, as well as a new and rather good song, "Charge". I love the inspiration behind Elbow songs... "It's about being an old man in a young man's pub" informs Guy, "....it's uh....not taken from personal experience...!"

His repartee was as sharp as ever, we did lose "Great Expectations" (crying shame), but we gained "Fugitive Motel" and "Leaders of the Free World" and I even enjoyed "Grace Under Pressure", never one of my favourite Elbow tracks (lacks something I can't put my finger on) ; it sounds really good live though and you can't take away Jupp's drumming prowess here.

"High Ideals" is another surprise; OK album track, but a splendid opener, live. "The Birds" became the pre-finale crescendo from its previous stance as opener, and it's a spectacular song, though conversely, better on the album...it's a proggy, slow-burning, complex number and its ideosyncracies are somehow lost on stage. The crescendo after the middle-8 section doesn't quite lift and fly as it does on the album either, pun well and truly intended.

"Weather to Fly" was a two-parter, as before, and never fails to get an "Awwww!" from the audience. The melody is beautiful, the lyrics even more so and it is a song that I think any kind of music fan would stop and go..."Actually, that's really quite something". Very sweet but not remotely sickly.

The encore was crowd-pleasing. A hybrid of the most eloquent love poem ever written and set to music ("Starlings") and the obligatory "One Day Like This". Hey, it's a good song and more so live than ever. It is *their* closing song now, probably indefinitely.

Further good: They didn't play "With Love" which I liked at first, but really is far too facile for Elbow.
"Lippy Kids" just sounds better every time it's played (it is just effortlessly moving).

Not so good (though forgiveable as they couldn't have made the set last all night and into the morning): No "Asleep" material....I would have taken "Scattered" over "Grace" and probably "Powder Blue" over any song I have not yet mentioned.

Overall, wonderful stuff yet again. I think the. "Build" stuff sounded even better this time, the mix of old and new was stronger, the "Big Arena made intimate" reputation was maintained, and it felt better for its "general fan" feel than the previous "promoting to the new fans" one. Ironically, I do think the new fans still outnumbered the old, but perhaps this time, those who have had a chance to digest "Seldom Seen" and "Build" have also had a chance in the intervening 20 months to at least give the Elbow back catalogue a go before this outing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Thu 29 Nov 2012, 06:45

elbowismymuse wrote:
I went to Birmingham tonight. Dare I say it- better than last year! The set list sampled four albums of their current five, as well as a new and rather good song, "Charge". I love the inspiration behind Elbow songs... "It's about being an old man in a young man's pub" informs Guy, "....it's uh....not taken from personal experience...!"

His repartee was as sharp as ever, we did lose "Great Expectations" (crying shame), but we gained "Fugitive Motel" and "Leaders of the Free World" and I even enjoyed "Grace Under Pressure", never one of my favourite Elbow tracks (lacks something I can't put my finger on) ; it sounds really good live though and you can't take away Jupp's drumming prowess here.

"High Ideals" is another surprise; OK album track, but a splendid opener, live. "The Birds" became the pre-finale crescendo from its previous stance as opener, and it's a spectacular song, though conversely, better on the album...it's a proggy, slow-burning, complex number and its ideosyncracies are somehow lost on stage. The crescendo after the middle-8 section doesn't quite lift and fly as it does on the album either, pun well and truly intended.

"Weather to Fly" was a two-parter, as before, and never fails to get an "Awwww!" from the audience. The melody is beautiful, the lyrics even more so and it is a song that I think any kind of music fan would stop and go..."Actually, that's really quite something". Very sweet but not remotely sickly.

The encore was crowd-pleasing. A hybrid of the most eloquent love poem ever written and set to music ("Starlings") and the obligatory "One Day Like This". Hey, it's a good song and more so live than ever. It is *their* closing song now, probably indefinitely.

Further good: They didn't play "With Love" which I liked at first, but really is far too facile for Elbow.
"Lippy Kids" just sounds better every time it's played (it is just effortlessly moving).

Not so good (though forgiveable as they couldn't have made the set last all night and into the morning): No "Asleep" material....I would have taken "Scattered" over "Grace" and probably "Powder Blue" over any song I have not yet mentioned.

Overall, wonderful stuff yet again. I think the. "Build" stuff sounded even better this time, the mix of old and new was stronger, the "Big Arena made intimate" reputation was maintained, and it felt better for its "general fan" feel than the previous "promoting to the new fans" one. Ironically, I do think the new fans still outnumbered the old, but perhaps this time, those who have had a chance to digest "Seldom Seen" and "Build" have also had a chance in the intervening 20 months to at least give the Elbow back catalogue a go before this outing.

Great in depth review mate - just the sort that someone like myself, who won't be at any of the dates, like to read.....am disappointed that they haven't thrown in a track from 'Dead In The Boot', to replace 'Weather To Fly' or 'Mirrorball' for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Thu 29 Nov 2012, 10:42

Great night last night. For me, Birmingham was better than Nottingham. Guy and the boys were on top form and I love the new track "Charge". Can't wait for the new album and it's going to seem a very long couple of years before we have a chance to see and hear from them again. Outstanding!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Thu 29 Nov 2012, 11:21

[quote="My Bury Vest"]
elbowismymuse wrote:

Great in depth review mate - just the sort that someone like myself, who won't be at any of the dates, like to read.....am disappointed that they haven't thrown in a track from 'Dead In The Boot', to replace 'Weather To Fly' or 'Mirrorball' for me.

I've been waiting to post a similar comment... would have thought with it being an 'official' album release they would have crowbarred at least one track in somewhere...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Thu 29 Nov 2012, 12:07

[quote="errant1977"]
My Bury Vest wrote:
elbowismymuse wrote:

I've been waiting to post a similar comment... would have thought with it being an 'official' album release they would have crowbarred at least one track in somewhere...

Just do a 'Dead In The Boot' tour across the country's Academy''s !

*goes all elitist for a moment, bear with me* Could you imagine them dropping 'Lucky With Disease' after 'Mirrorball' on the Arena tour ? *cue shuffling of bottoms on seats* Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Thu 29 Nov 2012, 12:09

My Bury Vest wrote:

Just do a 'Dead In The Boot' tour across the country's Academy''s !

*goes all elitist for a moment, bear with me* Could you imagine them dropping 'Lucky With Disease' after 'Mirrorball' on the Arena tour ? *cue shuffling of bottoms on seats* Thumbs Up!

leaning against an open door there, my friend... cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinTin
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   Thu 29 Nov 2012, 12:56

Loved last night ,though thought we wouldn't get there(long story), Grace under pressure, fugitive motel and night will always win were absolute favourites, loved the new track on first hearing .crowd were great (mostly) but felt like l was surrounded by a lot of new fans , not enthusiastic enough for my liking, l suppose that is inevitable the bigger elbow get. Had to restrain my singing along a bit, annoying ! Ha ha , want to do it all again now ! Overall the guys and co were brilliant as ever. I'm with you (my bury vest ) want a dead in the boot tour . cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham - 28/11/12   

Back to top Go down

Birmingham - 28/11/12
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow live-
Jump to: