elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Latitude Festival 14/07/12

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fragrant_monkey
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2011-03-04

PostSubject: Latitude Festival 14/07/12   Tue 17 Jul 2012, 06:15

Did anyone else get to this? We met Dr P earlier in the day, by arrangement, but since he had the mini-P's to see to, we lost him for the latter part of the evening, as he stayed at the back for Elbow. I noticed some banner-bearing members of the Pete Turner Appreciation Society near to us on the front row by the runway, but didn't recognise any familiar faces.

In spite of a heavy downpour earlier in the evening, Elbow gave us a night to be proud of. Full set list:

High Ideals - first time I'd heard them do this, so a splendid start!
Bones of You - Ever-present classic
Mirrorball - Really getting the crowd going now
Leaders of the Free World - great to have this one back in the repertoire
Grounds for Divorce - the sing-along stadium-friendly version!
Tower Crane Driver - Mrs f_m started to go all gooey-eyed at this point
The Night Will Always Win - clustered around a couple of keyboards right in front of us, Mrs f_m in raptures!
The Birds -
Lippy Kids -
Weather To Fly - drinks on stage
Scattered Black & Whites - really pleased there's still room for such a long-standing favourite*
Open Arms - "send them home feeling cosy and warm"
One Day Like This - ditto

No encore, as main stage was set for a finish at 23:00 hrs sharp.

* I've posted some iPhone video of SB&W on You Tube: http://youtu.be/5z3RQgu4Mgg

Some general observations for those who don't know Latitude:
Only did the Saturday, for which a day-ticket cost 75 (plus fees ('Mad'), however there really is a lot to do for all the family, whether musically inclined or not.
Organisation is generally excellent - plenty of food and drink available at prices that are not extortionate, and mostly from independent outlets rather than big chains.
Loos are plentiful, and regularly cleaned - which Mrs f_m reckoned was hugely impressive (although she declined to sample the 'female urinals').
In spite of the rain the conditions underfoot were pretty good, apart from the area close to the main stage, where there was a couple of inches of sloppy mud (unless, like us, you got to the barrier where the metal base provided clean dry conditions.
The immediate support acts on the main stage were Michael Kiwanuka (top-notch), Richard Hawley (Excellent band, RH arrived in a wheelchair pushed by one Mr G Garvey having broken his leg), and Laura Marling (OK, but didn't impress me as much as I had hoped. She managed to give a performance that was more static than Richard Hawley! Would have liked to see RH return for a rendition of The Fix with the lads, but you can't have everything.
Only criticism related to the 90 minutes it took to cover the 200m needed to get out of the temporary day car park, which we didn't achieve until gone 1:00 am! Thankfully we didn't have too far to go home.

At some point soon I'll sort out photos from the set, and post a link.

Best wishes all,

fragrant_monkey & Mrs f_m.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Queen Ali
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Latitude Festival 14/07/12   Tue 17 Jul 2012, 21:16

Great review, very happy to see someone else off here was there as well.. you must have been standing fairly close to me, as I was only a few people away from the Pete Turner Appreciation Society banner!

Regarding the setlist.. as usual, there wasn't a huge amount of change, but it was still all thoroughly enjoyable SB&W was a particular highlight, although it was a shame that the fireworks fell a bit flat! The use of the disco ball lighting was a very nice touch though, wasn't expecting it and it looked beautiful (did they do that for Jodrell Bank..? I honestly can't remember, how bad is that?! ). Open Arms was BELTING, absolutely wonderful, and ODLT was as lovely as ever, especially when the crowd continued singing after the boys had left the stage kept hearing it in random places on site throughout the rest of the night as well. Also, to the security guard who was playing the air-violin at the start of the song you are a legend!

What struck me the most was how lovely the crowd immediately around me was - there was lots of laughter and chatting, people sharing out their food and drinks (many thanks to the girl with the chocolate chip cookies, they were much appreciated) and there were two particularly sweet lads next to me who, after weaving all the way through to the front just for Elbow, then promptly gave up their spots for the two much smaller girls stood behind them what a lovely gesture!

Managed to get some half decent snaps:

The rest are here to anyone who has a look, there's tons of other random stuff to sift through, and plenty of me pulling stupid faces, so I do apologise! I've got a few videos to put up when I've got half a chance as well..!

Quick question though.. does anyone know if there will be Latitude coverage on tv? I had a look but can't find anything... was wondering if anybody else might know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/alexcford
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Latitude Festival 14/07/12   Wed 18 Jul 2012, 16:44

Hi Queen Ali, great pics! Smile

I had a trawl about TV coverage before Latitude and drew pretty much nothing at all, apart from a supposed Radio Times listing re-posted on the festival forum reckoning it was going to be covered on BBC Three.

Nope, it wasn't! There was a lot of radio coverage, but that was about it. No good if you crave the visuals as well!

View user profile http://elbowfans.org
TinTin
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Latitude Festival 14/07/12   Wed 18 Jul 2012, 22:13

Hi Queen Ali , Wish I could have gone , it sounds like it was a great night , love it when the crowd really go for it. your pics look great. took some at Jodrell bank but they weren't great i'll blame the weather !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Queen Ali
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Latitude Festival 14/07/12   Sat 21 Jul 2012, 14:04

mrswoman wrote:
Hi Queen Ali, great pics! Smile

I had a trawl about TV coverage before Latitude and drew pretty much nothing at all, apart from a supposed Radio Times listing re-posted on the festival forum reckoning it was going to be covered on BBC Three.

Nope, it wasn't! There was a lot of radio coverage, but that was about it. No good if you crave the visuals as well!

Thank you! Smile

It doesn't appear that there'll be any TV coverage anywhere, such a shame really Sad

TinTin wrote:
Hi Queen Ali , Wish I could have gone , it sounds like it was a great night , love it when the crowd really go for it. your pics look great. took some at Jodrell bank but they weren't great i'll blame the weather !

Thank you Smile And yes, it really was a lovely night, thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's taken a while, but here's my video links:

Grounds For Divorce

Weather To Fly

SB&W

And the crowd singing after the boys had left the stage

Sorry about the delay! There's plenty of other Latitude videos on my channel too, if anyone fancies a peek.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/alexcford
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Latitude Festival 14/07/12   Mon 23 Jul 2012, 15:39

Ace vids and pics, love the crowd singing! Whatever happened to the lads getting the crowd to sing them back on for the encore... I miss that. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Latitude Festival 14/07/12   

Back to top Go down

Latitude Festival 14/07/12
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow live-
Jump to: