elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band
 
HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Album Number 6 starts here...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
avatar

Male Number of posts : 461
Location : Newcastle Upon Tyne
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Album Number 6 starts here...   Tue 03 Jan 2012, 18:35

rock star's know just how to perk up your day, after the first day back at work lark that was today... nice tweet's from craig today...

Quote :
errant1977: @CraigLPotter for anything in particular? >>> Looking good chaps! Loads of....stuff RT @Elbow_Crew: That should do it. http://t.co/8tQZ8MLz

Original Tweet: http://twitter.com/errant1977/status/154267441223041024

followed by...

Quote :
CraigLPotter: @errant1977 Album 6 first session...

Original Tweet: http://twitter.com/CraigLPotter/status/154267793188069376

probably a year or more away from hearing it, but great news! bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
avatar

Female Number of posts : 529
Age : 67
Location : ROBIN HOOD COUNTRY
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Tue 03 Jan 2012, 18:52

Just read the twitter and had to post here cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
avatar

Male Number of posts : 243
Age : 44
Location : Baltimore
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Wed 04 Jan 2012, 02:04

errant wrote:
probably a year or more away from hearing it, but great news! bounce
I'd say autumn, certainly before Christmas. Unless the sessions move slooooow, they could have a dozen tracks easily by April or May, especially since the band doesn't seem to be doing much of anything else in the next six months. (They toured TSSK for two solid years, but BARB! was toured for about six months.) And we know that the band has been talking about the album amongst themselves for several months, with Jupp even laying down some rhythm tracks for Guy to work from.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.allyngibson.net/
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
avatar

Male Number of posts : 461
Location : Newcastle Upon Tyne
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Wed 04 Jan 2012, 11:35

[quote="allyngibson"]
errant wrote:
especially since the band doesn't seem to be doing much of anything else in the next six months. (They toured TSSK for two solid years, but BARB! was toured for about six months.)

other than a trip down under for some oz gigs in march... can't remember if they're doing hong kong etc as well? :-?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JessieAddick
little beast
little beast
avatar

Female Number of posts : 62
Age : 30
Location : China
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Wed 04 Jan 2012, 12:53

[quote="errant"]
allyngibson wrote:
other than a trip down under for some oz gigs in march... can't remember if they're doing hong kong etc as well? :-?
They're coming to Hong Kong???.........................May I ask where you got the info?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/jessieron
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1098
Age : 33
Location : On the other side of the world!
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Wed 04 Jan 2012, 13:59

Aaaawesome news. As always when our fav band does something! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Open arms
little beast
little beast
avatar

Female Number of posts : 67
Age : 30
Location : France
Registration date : 2011-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Thu 05 Jan 2012, 19:36

That's a good news, can't wait to hear this new album, personnaly BARB desappointed me a bit so...



Aaaah, I'd kill myself to work on the cover of the future album but as it's so impossible to reach them, I think it's dead Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://simpsonvips.canalblog.com/
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
avatar

Female Number of posts : 529
Age : 67
Location : ROBIN HOOD COUNTRY
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:46

[quote="Open arms"]That's a good news, can't wait to hear this new album, personnaly BARB desappointed me a bit so...


I agree about BARB. Heard that it could be a more punchier album. HOPE SO. I like the strings but not too much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The DaddyO 44
fallen angel
fallen angel
avatar

Male Number of posts : 46
Location : Yes
Registration date : 2011-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Fri 06 Jan 2012, 13:53

Yep, I reckon in time that most of us will regard BARB as an 'also-ran' kind of album; certainly not bad - featuring as it does a few gems (Lippy/River/Friends...), but not the equal of SSK or COT either.
On the new one I'd like to hear a bit of the edgyness of the first two albums, a bit of that angst (I know they were younger but hey...) and a little less cosy-Allan-Bennett-by-the-fire, and most importantly let's have Jupp back behind his formidable bank of drums AND prominent in the mix please!
Ultimately though I'm just waffling, cos I can't wait to hear whatever the boys do next Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
avatar

Male Number of posts : 1377
Age : 45
Location : MyBuryVest@twitter.com
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Sat 07 Jan 2012, 14:22

The DaddyO 44 wrote:
Yep, I reckon in time that most of us will regard BARB as an 'also-ran' kind of album; certainly not bad - featuring as it does a few gems (Lippy/River/Friends...), but not the equal of SSK or COT either.
On the new one I'd like to hear a bit of the edgyness of the first two albums, a bit of that angst (I know they were younger but hey...) and a little less cosy-Allan-Bennett-by-the-fire, and most importantly let's have Jupp back behind his formidable bank of drums AND prominent in the mix please!
Ultimately though I'm just waffling, cos I can't wait to hear whatever the boys do next Shocked

I do like barb! but your post mate is bang on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1098
Age : 33
Location : On the other side of the world!
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Sat 07 Jan 2012, 14:56

Honestly, no clue what you are talking about! I love BARB and I listen to it on heavy rotation.
And I've never been disappointed of any of their albums. That's why I can't join the "worst of each album" thread.

I'm just looking forward to every album they are releasing and I hope it will go on like this until I'm 80! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puncture Repair
fallen angel
fallen angel
avatar

Male Number of posts : 19
Age : 21
Location : Britain
Registration date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Sun 08 Jan 2012, 16:16

Fantastic to hear it'll be here so soon! (In comparisson to previous albums).

I don't want this new album to sound anything like any of the other albums - not that I don't like them, not a all. But if I want to listen to Asleep in the Back, I'll listen to Asleep in the Back Wink

But I do agree, a little less cosy, BARB slipped into that a little too much, me thinks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
avatar

Male Number of posts : 461
Location : Newcastle Upon Tyne
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Tue 10 Jan 2012, 09:17

[quote="JessieAddick"]
errant wrote:
allyngibson wrote:
other than a trip down under for some oz gigs in march... can't remember if they're doing hong kong etc as well? :-?
They're coming to Hong Kong???.........................May I ask where you got the info?

i think i got my facts wrong, sure i'd read it on the official email announcing the oz gigs and far east but i've double checked and i can't see it... may bad... apologies... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
avatar

Male Number of posts : 461
Location : Newcastle Upon Tyne
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Tue 10 Jan 2012, 09:20

Open arms wrote:
That's a good news, can't wait to hear this new album, personnaly BARB desappointed me a bit so...



Aaaah, I'd kill myself to work on the cover of the future album but as it's so impossible to reach them, I think it's dead Crying or Very sad

i *think* (so don't quote me) i've seen guy or craig having a bit of banter with @olivereast about the next album cover... ask him on twitter...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
avatar

Male Number of posts : 461
Location : Newcastle Upon Tyne
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Tue 10 Jan 2012, 09:23

My Bury Vest wrote:
The DaddyO 44 wrote:
Yep, I reckon in time that most of us will regard BARB as an 'also-ran' kind of album; certainly not bad - featuring as it does a few gems (Lippy/River/Friends...), but not the equal of SSK or COT either.
On the new one I'd like to hear a bit of the edgyness of the first two albums, a bit of that angst (I know they were younger but hey...) and a little less cosy-Allan-Bennett-by-the-fire, and most importantly let's have Jupp back behind his formidable bank of drums AND prominent in the mix please!
Ultimately though I'm just waffling, cos I can't wait to hear whatever the boys do next Shocked

I do like barb! but your post mate is bang on.

i'll second that... i still cling to the banter they had with radcliffe on the radio2 show they did around the release of barb with radders suggesting the next album should be a 'loud drums* album... drummers union banter though no doubt but guy joined in to...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
avatar

Male Number of posts : 461
Location : Newcastle Upon Tyne
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Tue 10 Jan 2012, 09:25

Puncture Repair wrote:
Fantastic to hear it'll be here so soon! (In comparisson to previous albums).

I don't want this new album to sound anything like any of the other albums - not that I don't like them, not a all. But if I want to listen to Asleep in the Back, I'll listen to Asleep in the Back Wink

But I do agree, a little less cosy, BARB slipped into that a little too much, me thinks.

agree totally... i think the position they were in, with the history they had and the success that came to them... that they were damned if they did and dammed if they didnt, whatever they did with barb.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JessieAddick
little beast
little beast
avatar

Female Number of posts : 62
Age : 30
Location : China
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Tue 10 Jan 2012, 11:30

errant wrote:
i think i got my facts wrong, sure i'd read it on the official email announcing the oz gigs and far east but i've double checked and i can't see it... may bad... apologies... Embarassed
It's Okay. Wink I wouldn't be able to go to Hong Kong anyway cos it's still too far from where I live.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/jessieron
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
avatar

Male Number of posts : 84
Age : 33
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Tue 10 Jan 2012, 13:05

I would most definitely like to hear a different tone to the 6th album, but I am one not in favour of anything too boisterous as I really don't think it suits them. Do they have the energy for it at gigs, either? Guy Garvey has admitted he can't run around like Chris Martin, and energetic songs need energetic performances...

I seem to remember the band confirming that they will not lose their restraint and subtlety following the surprising success of "Lippy Kids" - originally intended as an album-only track and so popular they released it as a single.

I agree with respect to the "cosy" factor though - I think Elbow need to go dark for this next album, perhaps a tad more dramatic. I want to see experimentalism, but I still want to feel like I am listening to Elbow, not Coldplay, not Muse, but Elbow (love the other two btw, but they're all so different).

Leaders was a livelier album than AITB and COT, but it was like whale music compared to proper arena rock...... this is not Elbow's forte..... quiet and intimate is. This doesn't mean they can't go a little up tempo, but I think they particularly excel at the quiet, brooding stuff.....Scattered, Switching Off, Great Expectations and so on.

The trouble with most bands is, they just get happier. Coldplay's overwroughtness these days is a prime example. They're a far cry from the restrained melancholy of "Trouble". This does mean that they either write happy stuff (which is not really my bag, personally) or they attempt to channel unhappiness they once felt, or through others......and risk it coming off as simply crap. The gloom of their first two albums was utterly visceral and true.....so I have a strong feeling that this next album will need to be about something topical, political, external to their immediate emotions and lives. To write songs about their emotions and feelings now would probably give us tons more of that cosiness and would overspill into utter schmaltz.

In this way, I do feel the next album will be a somewhat less personal affair, and more of a topical, musical commentary.....observational music from the brain and the eyes,....perhaps via the heart (it is Elbow after all) but not perhaps directly from the heart.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1523
Location : Florida
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Tue 10 Jan 2012, 17:00

Craig's now tweeted that they may have the opening track "in the bag"...HUZZAH! Very Happy

Such great news to hear that they're on the road to getting the next LP out there. And it's interesting to see the discussion from all you folks regarding what you thought of the last album, and what you hope will happen on the next one.

Personally, I enjoyed BARB, for what it was. It wasn't meant to be TSSK part II, or part 2 of any other previous album, for that matter. It just served as a snapshot of where they all were and what they were focused on in their lives at that time, and it worked well in that capacity. I don't know if wanting/expecting any particular sound is the way to look at it (heavier/louder, more intimate/delicate, etc.). There are certain qualities I hope to see, rather than any particular style or lyrical content: honesty, emotional integrity, uniqueness, and top-notch musical craftsmanship. If that's what we get on No. 6 it'll sound like a proper Elbow album, and no matter what they're singing about I'll be happy as a clam.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1695
Age : 55
Location : Newport, South Wales
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Fri 13 Jan 2012, 09:42

It'll be wonderful - I have absolutely no doubt in that. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world


Male Number of posts : 1340
Age : 46
Location : Aberdeen
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Fri 13 Jan 2012, 18:13

looking forward (as always) to some new material.
...but we have to appreciate the volume we've had from them too.
I'm sure you'd all agree we've been spoiled over the years compared to most artists. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
avatar

Female Number of posts : 397
Age : 47
Location : Kettering, Northants
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Sun 15 Jan 2012, 10:23


Exciting news reading Craig's tweets and moving on at such a pace. 2012 looks to be another great year in the Elbow stakes. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1695
Age : 55
Location : Newport, South Wales
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Sun 15 Jan 2012, 12:45

Lynne wrote:

Exciting news reading Craig's tweets and moving on at such a pace. 2012 looks to be another great year in the Elbow stakes. Very Happy

I really want to hear their version of 'Streets of London' now! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mainscoe
fallen angel
fallen angel
avatar

Male Number of posts : 19
Age : 55
Location : Bury!
Registration date : 2012-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Tue 31 Jan 2012, 19:16

Wonder if it's worth having a trip down to Blueprint and hanging out - or does no one do that sort of thing anymore???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Niftium
little beast
little beast


Male Number of posts : 61
Age : 34
Location : United States
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Wed 01 Feb 2012, 01:51

elbowismymuse wrote:
I would most definitely like to hear a different tone to the 6th album, but I am one not in favour of anything too boisterous as I really don't think it suits them. Do they have the energy for it at gigs, either? Guy Garvey has admitted he can't run around like Chris Martin, and energetic songs need energetic performances...

I seem to remember the band confirming that they will not lose their restraint and subtlety following the surprising success of "Lippy Kids" - originally intended as an album-only track and so popular they released it as a single.

I agree with respect to the "cosy" factor though - I think Elbow need to go dark for this next album, perhaps a tad more dramatic. I want to see experimentalism, but I still want to feel like I am listening to Elbow, not Coldplay, not Muse, but Elbow (love the other two btw, but they're all so different).

Leaders was a livelier album than AITB and COT, but it was like whale music compared to proper arena rock...... this is not Elbow's forte..... quiet and intimate is. This doesn't mean they can't go a little up tempo, but I think they particularly excel at the quiet, brooding stuff.....Scattered, Switching Off, Great Expectations and so on.

The trouble with most bands is, they just get happier. Coldplay's overwroughtness these days is a prime example. They're a far cry from the restrained melancholy of "Trouble". This does mean that they either write happy stuff (which is not really my bag, personally) or they attempt to channel unhappiness they once felt, or through others......and risk it coming off as simply crap. The gloom of their first two albums was utterly visceral and true.....so I have a strong feeling that this next album will need to be about something topical, political, external to their immediate emotions and lives. To write songs about their emotions and feelings now would probably give us tons more of that cosiness and would overspill into utter schmaltz.

In this way, I do feel the next album will be a somewhat less personal affair, and more of a topical, musical commentary.....observational music from the brain and the eyes,....perhaps via the heart (it is Elbow after all) but not perhaps directly from the heart.

I hate it when people quote without adding new material, but this nails it so hard that it should be posted again (though I think Leaders was a pretty good effort, even if it's a little emotionally scattered). I'm afraid "sad" may be beyond the reach of any "honest" sounding musical expression, but I'm sure they could easily pull off "anger/frustration."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   

Back to top Go down
 
Album Number 6 starts here...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow music-
Jump to: